Mental Health Forums

Pdoc Says Can't Reduce Anti Psychotic For At Least 4 Years

starryeyesee

I saw my pdoc this afternoon and I asked her if I could reduce my anti psychotic because I've only had one crisis in 6 months and I felt I was stable. She said no and that if, after a peroid of at least 4 years, I was stable then I could reduce them. I stopped taking my anti depressant in october because I no longer felt depressed and she was ok with that.

The problem is that taking risperidone for a long peroid can damage your heart and I haven't had a peroid since december 2010 when I spent a 3 months on the reduced dose of 2 mg rather than 4mg which is what I'm on now.

I just want to reduce the amount of chemicals I take. I've stopped drinking alcohol since october except for the odd occasion. I've been in therapy for 4 years. I just want to feel more in control of my emotions without having to rely on meds.

She said I still had not accepted that I had a chronic illness which is true. But I feel if I accepted it I would be giving into it and give up trying to make my life better.

As it is I'm left feeling depressed and hopeless by this appointment today. Surely that's not the point.

Starry

I would get a second opinion too. 4 years is a very long time. Ask her what sort of plan she has in mind and how to deal with the side effect etc. I don't agree that docs should be able to just put you on meds and forget about like that.

Hi Data

Thanks for replying :)

I'm moving to the uk in october so I will no longer see this pdoc so I will have to wait til then before I can get a second opinion.

The problem is that she knows me really well now and I'm pretty anxious about seeing someone else who doesn't know me. She said the reason I am stable now is because they have found a treatment that works for me and its not worth taking the risk of cutting down.

The thing is I would really like to see what I'm like now after so much therapy and meds. I'm definitely not like the person I was 5 years ago. I have much more insight and I would like the chance to use that without having to rely on meds :(

Yes well done you for cutting down on the alcohol, such a difficult thing to do, so you should be really pleased with yourself for that alone.

Have you explained your concerns regarding heart problem risks and periods to your doctor? and why 4 years? xx

Have you explained your concerns regarding heart problem risks and periods to your doctor? and why 4 years? xx

Hi imdeebbiem

She does know because I have said before and it was her that said this treatment can damage your heart so she knows. I don't know why she said 4 years...

starry x

I would get a second opinion too. 4 years is a very long time. Ask her what sort of plan she has in mind and how to deal with the side effect etc. I don't agree that docs should be able to just put you on meds and forget about like that.

Hi Sah

I think I will ask her what plan she has for me when I next see her. We haven't really talked about plans but she said there is a lot more work to do psychologically.

Thanks for replying

S xxx

edit:spelling

I know why she says 4 years because research has shown that after 5 years on anti p's the chance of a relapse is tiny before that its big. Something about your brain learning through the meds how to regulate these chemicals better and takes a lot of time.

I dont think accepting has to mean giving in. In fact accepting can help to improve your symtomps.

If youre on a boat in a storm and you refuse to accept that youre probably not doing the right things to keep the boat safe and moving forward. You cant just sit on the deck and go; I refuse to accept this storm!

If you accept the situation as is youre releasing energy thats now wasted fighting the facts and you can use that energy towards taking all the right measures to having the healthiest life youre capable of.

Lily

That makes sense Lily, neurons that fire together wire together. Therefore creating concrete neural pathways, while simultaneously allowing the dysfunctional ones a chance to die off. Still, it is a big commitment to meds and I still don't see why they don't just explain the big picture to patients to begin with.

I hope all goes well at your next visit Starry and she is able to give you more answers.

xoxo

Thanks Lily and Sah

That does make more sense now Lily but like you said Sah it's a shame my pdoc couldn't have explained this to me. I spoke to my Mum earlier and she agrees with my pdoc that with me moving back to the uk in the autumn it would be best if I was stable and she reckoned that another pdoc would say the same thing

I understand what you're saying about acceptance Lily. It's just hard to do :(

xxx

Archived