Mental Health Forums

I Am Going To Get Fat And I Cant Stop It.

imdebbiem

So for the last couple of months I have managed to keep my weight at 7stone 2lbs...but to do that has meant I binge/purge every day.

But the last week I have made a big effort not to purge and now my weight is up to 7stone 7lbs...which didnt bother me initially but I have a thought that if I have gained 6lb in a week, I will probably keep gaining around 6lb a week and get really fat cos obviously I am meant to be fat otherwise I would not be greedy and eat so much in the first place.

So today I binged and purged and am now back to square one- thinking about food and getting fat constantly.

:confused:

Have you considered trying to attack this at the source? Find ways to stop binging?

Theres some good self helpbooks out there.....therapies also............

Im trying an online dbt course at the moment and using mindfulness has helped me stay in control over what went in my mouth last week cos im trying to detach my emotions from eating, I am hoping to get some more strength through the other parts of this course im yet to complete.

But I cant cope with the thought of getting fat but I also cant stop thinking about food...I feel insatiable like all I want to do is sit in house and eat all day. :-( xx

dieting, binging & purging causes water loss, usually 4lb of water, so when u stop u will initially gain 4lb back of water. so u have only gained 2lb which is a healthy weight gain, esp as 7st 2 must make u v underweight. i did "re-feeding" and had 3 meals & 3 snacks a day totalling about 2000 cals, my weight increased by 2lb a week til it plateaued at about 8.5 stone, which meant that was the weight that needed about 2000 cals per day. i had no desire to binge as i was always full. hope this reassures u a bit? it was terrifying at first, i thought i'd just eat and eat and increase in weight indefinately...but that didn't happen

How tall are you, what build and your BMI? These, of course, can only be used as guidelines. You are almost certainly underweight though and not fat. This week I weigh 7st 5lb, I gained 3 1/2lb lst week, and feel fat and disgusted. I find it hard to accept the truth that I am not fat or overweight, but actually underweight. I can write it, but am only now starting my recovery from anorexia with bulimic tendencies. I fully understand how you are feeling.

One good tip, wear loose clothing, especially around your hips and waist area. Tightr clothes make you feel fatter when you are not fat. At all!

Do you have access to an ED/Dietician/Nutritionist or someone? I can't get access to any, but did have them, and they can help.

Im 5 foot 7 inches...I always wear loose clothing cos I cant stand the feeling of seeing myself in tight clothes, I just see my body frame as fat and I dont like the look of it.

I dont have access to any support for ED although my GP has said in the past I have bulimia, which is worse when my depression is really bad. He just upped my fluoxetine to 60mg to try and help. xx

Hope it works.

Your BMI is dangerously low, you really need to raise it to a minimum of 20. You will then start feeling better and your depression will start imrpoving.

At least, that is what they keep advising me. I am now a few points below a BMI of 20, and most definately much better than I was. Still very depressed, but have many other problems and been refused any anti depressants for the last three months.

Gentle hugs to you

i'm 5 ft 7" too, at 8.5 stone my bmi is 18.5 which is the highest it's been in my life and i have times when it totally freaks me out but i know i am healthier. And i can def think clearer. The hospital advised me to take a B vitamin complex supplement while gaining weight to aid metabolism. Hope that helps. I guess the main problem with "recovery" is that u have to face the reasons behind the eating disorder, which for me meant admitting my dad abused me and opened up a whole can of worms... But i am getting there... I couldn't stay ana for the sake of my children, i had to get better & it's a long road but hopefully will be worth it in the end and i hope u both keep going! Feel free to pm me if u wanna talk, i did a certificate in nutrition as part of my recovery & having had an ed since i was 6 i have tried all the tricks going... xx

forgot to say i am on escitalopram & it's more selective than fluox- so u need a lower dose, i have found it much better than the other ssri's - it's newer so more expensive so u have to ask 4 it!

Thanks Lou...I am glad you now consider yourself in recovery and I hope you continue to do well...it is a long road but I hope I can find my way out for my familys sake and my own. xx

Archived