Mental Health Forums

'i Have Been Treated Badly By A And E Staff' Poll

toaster

Treatment from A and E staff  

41 members have voted

1. 1. I have been treated badly or with judgement when I have gone to A and E because of self harm

• Yes
    • No

I was just wondering people's experiences of A and E. I know, in the past when I used to present a lot, I was treated in a not very nice and judgemental way.

What are people's experiences? Does it make you wary of seeking help?

Just curious :) xx

I was told that a. I couldn't leave because someone needed to pick me up but also b. I should hurry up and leave because someone else needed my bed. I couldn't get in touch with anyone, didn't have many friends or boyfriend at the time, and I just felt like the most pathetic and useless piece of scum ever.

I've had mixed experiences, some times they've been the most supportive, caring nurses ever and they made sure I got some help.

Sometimes they've treated me like some piece of shit who doesn't deserve barely a word said to me

I don't like these topics. Every where we go in life we will meet people, some good some bad, some we can get on with others we can't stand. Doctors and nurses, social workers and police, they are all just people. Dwelling on and measuring negative experiences, and they are negative else you wouldn't be at a hospital will just stir up unhealthy feelings. I am not for censorship, so I am not saying there is no value to this topic but I feel it is negative. Even giving good feedback is going back in your mind to a time when you were at a hospital. Think nicer things is better for the mind. x

I don't view this topic as negative, I view it as a place for people to talk about their experiences. People may have had great experiences with A and E staff.

You didn't have to read this topic, the title is self explanatory, nor did you have to reply :)

I don't see it as dwelling on stuff at all. I am also not into people being negative and I try to remain positive or see the good sides or try to understand that others have bad days too...

But this is a forum for talking about mental health problems. We are often treated badly by the NHS and actually it's helpful to hear that other people have been too - makes me feel less alone.

on a positive note though, my last a&e experience at leicester was frightening but the staff took care of me so well, I was so scared and they made me feel safe in that horrible time. They knew I was freaking out a lot and they let me have a little space to myself and got me a drink in the quiet, the nurses really gave a crap and I will always appreciate their effort, and always strive never to go back.

I havent really had a bad experience, the last hospital visit because of SH a nurse gave me that disgusted look which felt very uncomfortable luckily it wasn't her who fixed me back up together, other than that they are pretty nice down and caring.

LBB x

i were crying my eyes out and the nurses wouldnt come and check if i am feeling ok but had to check if i didnt have anything on me that could point me to doing selfharm during hospital. but the doctors were nice and understanding

I would say that the majority of good experiences for me outway the bad. So i'm going to vote No.

I have only had one negative experience from the an on duty crisis team member in the hospital. They pretty much sent me home on my own without asking if i could get home safely or if i had money to do so, when i could barely walk or function with all the pills in my system, felt like i had drunk two bottles of vodka. If it wasn't for a brilliant cabbie, who dropped me home and even came in and stood in KFC with me in a huge queue whilst i got myself a small meal as i thought i was hungry with no extra charge i'm not sure i could have made it.

Usually the Doctors, Nurses, and the on duty crisis team members and Psychs have been great with me when things were that bad i ended up in A&E.

Aurora :)

Love that cabbie, rory. It's gestures like that that make me realise there are some truly lovely people in this world. Really glad it was that cabbie that picked you up that day xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I remember one experience 5 years ago when I was in hospital for an overdose and I was treated like a 'time waster' I also got ignored on the ward as well.

I felt hugely guilty as it was, so the next 2 overdoses I took that year, I didn't go to hospital and chose to stay in bed instead. xx

I used to work in A&E as a healthcare assistant and I saw some of the nurses/other healthcare staff treat people who had come in with suicidal reasons/thoughts/alcohol or drug problems very badly. I made a few complaints too before I left.

One of the reasons I couldn't cope working in A&E is because people become desensitised to people and their issues. A&E staff deal with so many people who come in with a wide range of issues, that the shock factor is gone and they're just yet another number on the conveyor belt to deal with quickly so that they can discharge them and get another one in. It's really sad.

I couldn't work like that, every single person was a human being, they deserved respect, warmth and love. I spent too long on each individual and used to get told off.

It's sad that people in A&E can become like this, but at the same time - they are dealing with traumatic issues every single day for long shifts (12 hours shifts) they are bound to get worn down from them.

This does not excuse bad behaviour though. If you can't care for people then don't be in that profession. Simple.

I've had a mix of good and bad experiences in A & E.

Some nurses/doctors have been very judgement, and often treat me like a child, telling me off for self-harming. Some have been disgusted by my scars and make no attempt to hide their disgust.

I will go if I need stitches, but have lied and said that my injuries were accidental.

On the other hand, I have been treated with kindness and gentleness I didn't expect to receive. People so rarely act that way in regards to my self-harming.

I actually attended A&E this week for the first time ever.. I had taken an overdose. The triage nurse was very factual (not warm and fluffy) but then I imagine she was very busy and her job was to triage assess me quickly. She wasn't horrible or anything, just factual, which was fine. What did make me giggle internally was that she had never heard of "CMHT".. I had to explain it to her and spell out the acronym. Strange!

But then I saw a lovely doctor who was kind and treated me with respect. She needed to do an arterial blood test (not pleasant) and couldn't find my artery! It was hurting a lot but I put up with it because i figured I deserved it, given it was my fault i was there in the first place. She apologised and stopped.. then started again further down my wrist. She apologised a few times and I kept saying it was fine as it was my fault afterall so I deserved everything I got! I think i expected staff to treat me badly, but it was good to be treated with compassion. Not that I'd ever want to go through all that again though so it's a real wake up call!

Anyway, I've voted 'no' to the poll :)

I don't view this topic as negative, I view it as a place for people to talk about their experiences. People may have had great experiences with A and E staff.

You didn't have to read this topic, the title is self explanatory, nor did you have to reply :)

:) That's me told! Sorry Toaster it was late last night up with worries and anxiety and not the time to be responding as I did.

I havent attended A&E much, as would never go for sh and self treat, even if should have stitches, i couldnt bear any negative reactions. but have been for major ODs and can't remember them but as they saved my life I guess thats something so voted no

haven't answered because although the majority of times staff have been absolutely brilliant the few times it was bad it was really bad(in a diff hospital too) and ended up causing a 'scene'.

but don't want give the wrong impression by clicking 'yes' because the majority of times i've been treated very well.

My first experience was reasonably ok. I was 21, and it was my first overdose. I was coughing up blood and had to speak to a psychiatrist, who was a man. Despite being worried that it was a man, he was really nice and even welled up himself.

Every time after this though, I've felt that their attitude was "we've got another one", and "she's here again", and to be honest, they've not given me anyone to talk to again either since the first time.

I really do think that if they don't have actual personal experience, then they have no idea, so they don't give a shit.

I'm afraid to say I've a had a few bad experiences. I've had one health care worker push the thermometer so far and hard in my ear I pulled away (I'm not usually phased).

I have also been discharged after an OD yet not actually able to walk, they actually put me in wheelchair to the taxi I had ordered and turfed me out!!

There have been the odd occasions I've had a nurse try to understand why I did what I did. I got to one point when I was there so often they would say oh no not again A, why are you here again (but more in a concerned way).

I'm kind of on the fence as to which way to vote as my experiences have been mixed. However I can relate to what Head hurts has said and have often heard them talk about other patients by making the "we've got another one" or "she's here again" and even "she said she's taken X amount of pills but I doubt she really has."

xx

I've been quite a few times to A and E for overdoses and self harm and most of the doctors and nurses were lovely and very understanding.

Of course there will always be the few who refuse to speak to you or shake their heads in disgust but they are the minority I've found.

I was treated better with self harm issues than I was when I went in with chest pain a few years ago. They treated me like shab and thought I was being hysterical but I was in terrible pain due to chest inflamation which I had to diagnose myself in the end.

I wouldn't be put off going to A and E in future.

Once I went to A'nE to see the crisis team and the medical nurse said "Show me you wrists or you won't get to see them" - not the worst experience but she was a right bitch

A few months ago i was taken to my own hospital by the police because i had taken an od they refused to see me because its not an a and e and they don't have doctors so an ambulance was phoned which i got before the people already waiting and the nurses weren't happy it wasn't my fault i would have waited but the police wanted rid of me as quick as possible. The paramedics were lovely and talked to me all the way there it a 45 minute journey and i am argraphobic and take panic attacks so it wasn't pleasant. The on duty cpn was waiting and a nurse showed me to a bed, no one was rude but no one overly cared either, a doctor came in to take blood and set my hand on top of his leg near his privates so he could take blood from my hand and put a drip in i almost cried, i have been abused in the past and i don't like being that close to someone. No one spoke to me after that apart from the cpn who i lied to because i wanted home, they made me wait three hours and then i had to call my partner at midnight to come and get me because i had no other way home he was so angry. I can't say i was treated bad but i didn't feel they really cared its enough to put me of telling them again though if i od.

Archived