Mental Health Forums

I Smell?

JasmineRose

My flatmate got in last night with her son, and announced loudly outside my room door how there was a bad smell in here and she needed to burn some incense.

I'd only cooked brown rice and microwaved veggies with feta cheese!

Then this morning I got into work, and a colleague was in the staffroom and said how there was a bad smell in there and got out the air freshener.

She does have an issue with non-veg cooking smells, and we have some African staff who cook pungeunt fish and such, and this staff member has an ongoing issue with this.

But why me, twice in less than 24 hours?

I shower every morning, washing all over and washing my hair.

I always brush my teeth 2-3 times a day.

I've been ill, and quite depressed, but I do take care of my hygiene,

But now my sensitivities are feeling hurt.

I know I'm probably just adding things up that don't fit.

The thing is, I know I have some pretty toxic emotion stuff that I'm working at clearing through.

Can people 'smell' that, or experience it as a bad smell?

I'm scared.

You've nothing to be scared of, I really do believe that what you have experienced is purely coincidence. You can't possibly smell if what you wrote is true. If it happens again, then maybe it is a case of bullying prehaps? xx

You've nothing to worry about, people can't smell emotions and even if you washed half as much as you do unless you're mucking out cows all day you won't smell. x

Agree with others, its just an unfortunate coincidence...Im the same, I always feel quite insecure when people comment about bad smells and such I keep thinking 'is it me?' and spraying loads of perfume on just to put myself at ease.

Anyway im glad you are finally starting to feel better from the flu. xx

I really think its a horrible coincidence. I can't see any reason why you would smell and cooking can be very smelly

but its so easy to take things like that personally xxx

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, it helps me to reality check. I needed to hear this.

Thing is, I could smell nothing either time. And the cooking I'd done on Friday wasn't remotely smelly..

some people have more sensitive noses than others but i still don't think you smell

and if you are the one cooking or in the room with someone whos cooking you often stop noticing the smell of it but if someone walks into the room the smell can seem very strong.

• 4 weeks later...

Few things are more repugnant than a bad smell - I think worrying about this is something very common amongst insecure people...in my experience the people who smell the worst are those who aren't insecure enough to consider the possibility that they stink!

Hmmm yeah..

I don't smell, at least physically. I know that now. It's the insecurity that's the... thing.

Archived