Mental Health Forums

Dbt V Scared

AmyP

start dbt on wed, seems to have raced towards me. not sure what im nervous about, i guess part of it is worrying they will tell me im a fraud, worrying i wont be able to speak in front of the group (hardly said two words during the two introduction groups), worrying it wont help. got to the stage where i am definitely going to go though have promised myself and bf will not drop out. guna give it a go and see if it helps and if it is for me. im doing the distress tolerance part first, still not quite sure what that entails...

you are bound to be nervous but you are doing the right thing, if you cant talk to begine with there will be other people that can and eventually the therapist will help you to talk, maybe expectations of yourself are high and maybe you should just go and seexx

pandory I'id love to know how it goes.

i think it's normal to be terrified to talk! I have problems with group work, feel so awkward. U r so brave, go 4 it i'll be thinking positive thoughts your way xx

thank you christine hun im probably expecting too much of myself as you say. will let you know how it goes hun xx

thanks lou hun yeh is really awkward always feel will make a fool out of myself, thank you for the positive thoughts hun xx

I wish you all the best with it. Take one step at a time, and I'm sure you'll be fine. It might feel exposing and awkward, but you'll all be in it together, and I'm guessing others will have similar feelings.

thanks jasmine hun yeh little steps as is only the beginning, very true all there for similar reasons so not like im guna stick out too much xx

I hope it goes well, you can still learn from the class even if you dont talk, everyone is different and will benefit in different ways xxx

Hope it goes well for you, I'm waiting for a referral, at least you are making it to the front door, I think that is a huge step in itself. xx

Hiya, I started the group part of DBT 5 weeks ago and despite going through a really traumatic time in my life recently, every week I attend DBT I feel a little more positive

At the first group session I was dissociating a fair bit and never said a word, I also didn't speak in my 2nd group session, but listening to the others it struck me just how they all thought like me and had the same kind of issues

No-one will expect you to speak until you are ready and even then, at least in my group, no-one goes too in depth about things, that's for your time with your individual therapist, everything personal is just pretty much in general and no you wont stand out, you will probably be surprised at how alike you all are in many things

I hate group situations and avoid them like the plague, but I am getting more relaxed each week and although I don't want friends, cos I don't trust people, I am getting on quite well with the others already.

I also find its really quite a relaxed atmosphere in there

I really hope it all works out well for you :)

I've started the pre commitment work so far. It starts properly in may. I am also very anxious about the group bit. my T tried to reassure me that it's normal and it'll be fine. What i've done so far seems to be helpful so, shut your eyes, hold your nose and jump in. Hugs. x

thank you all so much for your replies, really helpful reading your views and experiences. is good to know what to expect shailaine an nice to know am not the only one feeling like this. hope you get your referral soon head hurts hun. good luck with yours starting shadow girl hun hope it goes okay.

hugs to you all xxx

back from first session. think it went ok, didnt say much but didnt expect that i would.

first impressions are ok but im in doubt about whether i should be there. not saying i dont have the problems and dont need help cos i accept (i think) that i do, its more that, well the session involved different ways of coping with crisis, distraction techniques etc an im not sure im ready to be there. the whole point is to WANT to get out of a crisis, to not want to sh etc an im just sat there thinking well im not bothered about stopping sh, od, drinking etc. makes me think maybe im not ready. whats the point in doing the course if your not willing to change, the whole point is your there to change :worried_anim:

struck me how normal everyone seemed. felt like a weirdo next to them all, but maybe thats cos i know what goes on in my head so maybe they all feel the same too.

am guna continue going for now an see how it goes, but i need to work out if im in a place where i can and am willing to change. theres a woman who has been before and is repeating the course as she wasnt ready the first time, so need to think about if that's the case for me.

final thought, Marsha Linehan may be brilliant and all, but her videos arent half patronizing and boring :lol: maybe is just me but she seems to have that typical comical american drone in her voice that counselors have on the tv.

Well done going. Try not to worry about whether you should be there and how you compare to the other people. Just see how it goes - if you find some of the stuff helpful in reducing SH etc, you might want to stop further down the line. Then again you might not - but even if you just reduce it then you are a bit safer so it's still worthwhile.

I can't believe they used an american teaching video. If when I start they do that all my worst behoviours will rise to the surface in protest. I hate them.

Please quote me back to me when I panic when my group starts in may. Hopefully you'll feel more at ease in the group as the weeks go by. x

Well done for getting there and sitting through :)

Yes, Marsha is not celeb T material, lol. She is the one that developed DBT though (shadow) In my real life the things she says have a lot of truth I didn't like looking at or listening to when I was in DBT, but it's been helpful to at reducing my suffering and that is something I didn't think anyone could help me with.

I am glad you are giving it a chance, I looked at DBT more like a class and less like group, it made it possible for me to stay and take in what I could that way.

Archived