Mental Health Forums

Whose Gonna Win The Grand National Saturday?

angelk01

I wonder how many horses will be put down because of racing in the Grand National? It was two last year.

TWO HORSES KILLED AT AINTREE: GRAND NATIONAL 'EQUIVALENT TO SPANISH BULLFIGHTING'

Posted 9 April 2011

The Grand National continued its tradition of killing horses today when Ornais broke his neck and Dooneys Gate broke his back in the gruelling 4 and a half mile event. Their deaths mean that 20 horses have now perished on the Grand National course since 2000.

Just 19 of the 40 starters finished the race, while the winner, Ballabriggs, came close to collapse from dehydration on what was a punishingly hot day.

As in previous years, horses somersaulted and crashed to the ground, landing on their heads, necks and backs. Several horses were pulled up and Animal Aid has concerns about whether any of those have suffered serious injury that could result in their subsequent destruction. On Thursday, Inventor was destroyed after breaking a leg in a hurdle race at the three-day Aintree meeting.

Says Animal Aid Director Andrew Tyler:

‘When horses are killed at the Grand National meeting, their deaths are not accidents but entirely predictable. The public has been conned into believing that the Grand National is a great sporting spectacle when, in reality, it is straightforward animal abuse that is on a par with Spanish bullfighting. This race should have no future in a civilised country. The BBC deserves special condemnation for all but concealing news of the deaths. In fact, one of its commentary team described the dead horses as they lay on the course as ‘obstacles’ – which was particularly disgusting and callous.’

Being a reformed gambler, I tend to avoid making predictions as to what will happen in races. Nevertheless, even when I was gambling, I would usually take an agnostic attitude towards the Grand National. Especially as the more recent renewals have become much more competitive (it's not like 12+ years ago where half of the field would be out of the handicap) and the safety adjustments (which have made the race even more dangerous in my opinion) have meant that the race itself is no longer the unique test it once was. The lines separating the race from the other major staying handicaps are becoming increasingly blurry but it still makes for an intriguing spectacle nonetheless.

As such, around thirty of forty horses lining up on Saturday will have a chance of running a big race including Ballabriggs and Becauseicouldntsee. The former won the race last year and will be attempting to be the first horse to have won the race more than once since Red Rum in 1977 (incidentally trained by the father of Ballabrigg's trainer). The former actually finished second in this season's amateur race at Cheltenham, the corresponding event won by Ballabriggs in 2010 before winning this race. Becauseicouldntsee has been primed for this race all season (as illustrated by the fact he took in several hurdles races this term in order to preserve his mark) but it should be noted that his Cheltenham conqueror, Sunnyhillboy, runs of the same mark even though he beat Becauseicouldntsee by four and a half lengths. Still, Becauseicouldntsee has the size advantage over Sunnyhillboy which could be telling at Aintree.

I'll actually be going to Aintree on the Thursday to see the almighty Big Bucks attempt to break Sir Ken's record for most consecutive national hunt wins. This will be far more appealing to me, not least because of the fact that Thursday's meeting will likely be attended by a higher proportion of purists that the Friday and Saturday.

Hi Growly Cat

I can honestly assure you that the whip doesn't physically harm the horses. I used to have similar concerns myself so I went to Stratford last summer and asked to borrow a whip to use on myself. Colin Brown (retired jockey of Desert Orchid) complied with my request and to my surprise, the whip is effectively an air cushioned rubber stick which is perhaps more pleasurable than anything else. Furthermore, the horses themselves are better looked after than any other form of livestock in the British Isles and are sincerely loved by the stable staff that tend to them on a daily basis. The problem sadly is that the animal rights lobby (RSPCA, animal aid etc) have been extremely short sighted in tackling the issue of unethical treatment in the sport by trying to appeal to the fickle whims of public perception by focussing on the whip. If they really wanted to tackle the issue of cruelty then they should have a close look at the overproduction of racehorses and instil a form of "wellness" examinations for prospective owners with tight enforceable regulations for ensuring the horse is looked after once its racing days are finished.

Man have been using horses for centuries for transport, racing, haulage etc.

I am a vegetarian, but sometimes i think these animal rights groups go too far.

I'm sorry if i have offended you love and me and growly for posting about this topic.

I understand where your coming from about the cruelty of the race, the fences are too steep i agree

and i think there should be smaller fences and a smaller field of runners so it can be cruel. :(

I see you know a lot about it corpsewithpulse. i hope big bucks wins too, he is a great hurdler

and a great horse. Good luck for your bets. xxx

In the past ten renewals, including the two that died last year, the answer is 6.

The Last Fling

Tyneandthyneagain

McKelvey

Hear The Echo

Ornais

Dooney's Gate

Now when compared to the countless (billions? millions of billions?) animals bred and killed (deliberately) for food, vivisection and fashion in that period of time, six isn't too bad a number. Zero would be considerably better number but one has to keep these things in perspective.

I will never agree with horse racing or gambling. Using horses for farming is quite different from the Grand National.

As I feel quite passionately about both horse racing and gambling I think I will stay away from this discussion, Sorry angelk I hope I haven't upset you.

I'm sorry if i have offended you love and me and growly for posting about this topic.

I understand where your coming from about the cruelty of the race, the fences are too steep i agree

and i think there should be smaller fences and a smaller field of runners so it can be cruel. :(

I see you know a lot about it corpsewithpulse. i hope big bucks wins too, he is a great hurdler

and a great horse. Good luck for your bets. xxx

Don't be sorry for posting, I just don't agree with it that is all, No worries.

I don't agree with it either for similar reasons to growly and love&me. I don't really care who wins for that reason.

/unhelpful post.

I refuse to watch it, I used to ride before I smashed both my hips (car crash not horse accident). They are beautiful animals and should be treated with love and respect - not flogged over jumps that are evil and kill so many of them. The Cheltenham cup had fatalities as well so I read and it just all makes me sick to my stomach. Sorry.

Please don't be sorry - I maybe should have kept my mouth shut - I didn't mean to upset you angel :hug2: just a very emotive subject for me xx

I don't think anybody should be apologising to anybody in this thread.

I think that the thread itself is a perfectly legitimate one because for all the cultural zeitgeist is slowly turning against the race, the Grand National is still a important cultural landmark in this country and the discussion of "who will win" will be one held in homes, pubs and workplaces across the country. Similarly, if one has an opinion which opposes the running of this race then one is perfectly entitled to air that opinion. There could be a separate thread for the antis but perhaps that would open a fresh can of worms. My point is that the moment we start apologising for expressing our opinions is the moment we lose our freedom to have opinions in the first place which is one of the worst things a human being can do to oneself.

Incidentally, I myself am a vegetarian and former animal rights activist who happens to really enjoy horse racing. As such, when I discuss the ethics of the sport with horse racing fans, my views are considered to be wholly naive and unacceptably sensationalist. Similarly, when I defend horse racing to animal rights people I know, my views are treated with a blend of disgust, disdain and unparalleled horror. So effectively, I'm the only person in the discussion who doesn't think I'm wrong. But I make no apologies for my opinions.

hello corpsewithpulse, i am a veggie too and i am apologising

for the thread as it can be bad for the horses but i love watching it

every year and my mum puts a bet on for me. Its a tradition so

i really think as u say its cultural.

have u any thoughts who will win?

:). xxx

Fair enough :)

Like I've said, as I'm a reformed gambler, I avoid forming opinions on who I think's going to win a particular race. I only follow the sport these days out of the pure enjoyment of it in the same way people would follow a soap opera or something. I could give reasons why each horse may win and why each horse wouldn't but I choose to not actually pick out that I fancy and prefer instead to just enjoy the action as it unfolds :) x

My point is that the moment we start apologising for expressing our opinions is the moment we lose our freedom to have opinions in the first place which is one of the worst things a human being can do to oneself.

Very true. :)

this thread was meant as a simple question wo would win the grand national, to name a horse that would win. it was never intended to become a debate so why things have got so complicated is beyond me. just accept the question as it is and dont look any deeper for other meanings. i may have apologised earlier but why should i. It is a justifiable question i asked as it is a sporting event that is a historical and cultural event in the u.k. that many people celebrate. :(

Angel you are quite right you didn't ask people how they felt about the Grand National but that is what I answered and I am sorry. It was not appropriate of me.

Archived