Mental Health Forums

Anyone Got Experience Of Lithium Or Sodium Valproate?

Eagleheart

I was diagnosed bi-polar II last thurs and my psych wanted me to go on lithium but i said no way coz I've heard some serious shit about it and a girl i know vaguely is on it and has ballooned in weight. I really don't want to take it. She suggested sodium valproate instead but i'm not keen at all. Over the years,they've tried dozens & dozens of toxic chemical shit on me and my body's had enough too. I would be interested to hear about people's experiences of these drugs. It may help me come to a firm decision. Thanx.

I had it for three months once,didnt gain much weight though I know that possible. It worked but my issue was it gave me bad acne.

I'm on 1200mg of Lithium a day. You have to make sure you drink enough and your bloods get checked regularly. Haven't gained any weight but my psorisis is really bad, does seem to have a lot of difficulties with skin problems.

Hi I have been on both. I am still on lithium.

my personal experience is far more positive with lithium than it was with SV. I put on loads of weight with SV, it gave me muscle cramps and jerking limbs. It did however calm my rages somewhat.

On lithium, I have lost two stone and the only side effect of note is that I have to take a bottle of water to have by my bed and I usually get up to pee once through the night. This is not a problem for me as I have an en suite but it would be a problem if I didn't as my bed is upstairs and the main bathroom down. That said, if I merely sipped water through the night rather than drink loads as I do, then I might not have to get up. The thirst continues into the morning but I just carry bottled water everywhere.

It has levelled out my mood to a degree but I still need anti psychotics too. I would like an anti depressant but shrink won't give me one.......suspects I want to be high......

In terms of toxicity, I have only had high levels once and I think that was my own fault. I had been very erratic with taking my meds and I think I took too much. I just reduced for a few days then increased again and all is fine.

Good luck with whatever

Thornyrose

Archived