Mental Health Forums

First Day Of Therapy.

Dibley

I had my first therapy session today, and I turned up.

I really don't know how people with social anxiety have therapy. It was so hard.

I didn't say much. It was kind of like talking to the samaritans but without feeling suicidal.

Like, I couldn't phone up the samaritans now, because I wouldn't know what to say. When you do phone them, they don't say much, but try to get you to say how you feel, and mostly it just comes flooding.

I'm not making sense I know.

I guess she was ok, she was doing her job. She kept saying I can trust her and that she was there to help, but that just made me more paranoid to her persistance.

She asked if I still wanted to go, and that she didn't want to push me. I said I do. She said to give it a few week, and see how I get on.

So, next appointment, a week on Friday.

Hi HH

Well done for going :)

I really hope you can open up to her. It may take a while before you can trust her but, please be assured anything you say will stay in that room.

Therapy is hard but it is so worth it. I have been in therapy for four years and even though I still dread going I wouldn't be as well as I am if I hadn't had the opportunity to work on my stuff with someone in rl..I hope you can take this chance to address your own problems so that your life can get better and you can be happy with yourself

If you ever want to pm me about therapy stuff I am always happy to listen and help.

xxx

Hi

I think that turning up today was very brave and enough in itself. Not being able to open up is totally understandable.. afterall you don't know this therapist and she doesn't know you. It'll take time for you to get to know each other and for you to feel safe. I guess you're right that therapy is a little like phoning the Samaritans but not in a suicidal state.. i.e. a good therapist will try to give you the space to talk in a safe environment, not interrupt, etc. In that room things are all about you and your best interest. It's quite a unique experience really and something that will take time to get used to, so I think her idea of giving it a few weeks (or longer) is a good idea.

Well done for going :)

Jenny

Yes therapy is hard. It's really good that you made it to your session. Hopefully you will gel with your therapist. Give yourself time. I mean there were certainly days when I really couldn't face up to going but forced myself and was glad in the end that I did even though it wasn't easy. Very best of luck xx

Archived