Mental Health Forums

Are Women Treated Equally Or Not?

angelk01

Hello everyone just wanted to start this thread.

Are women treated on an equal basis to men?

I mean in terms of pay, work activities and in general

in everyday life like in the political sphere?

I wanted to start this thread as i feel like women are still

subjected to male dominance in terms of the amount of candidates

in each election like local constituencies although there was a successful

woman candidate in Brighton Pavillion of the green party but apart

from that there is still a subordination of women to be homemakers

and take care of domestic chores. :(

This is a debate thread i wanted to create as i'm studying History

at college and is always discussed in class in terms of historically

in the early 20th century but i feel this question is relevant nowadays

as there are stiill many issued to contend with for women.

Please let me know your thoughts. xxx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In UK pay is not equal and some employers don't want to employ women that they think may be starting a family because of maternity pay and leave.

I believe in traditional roles and I find that it is difficult for young women now. Binge drinking and promiscuity isn't good for men or women. Overall I don't want to be treated as a male I want to be treated as a female with respect. In some sections women are under represented but I do feel it is sad more women don't bring up their own children because of wanting or needing to work.

Yeah i agree i think women should be treated with respect they need to have

the same opportunities as men and even when working part-time

should have the same hourly pay as well as company benefits so there

needs to be more respect shown by men.

Sometimes they treat women workers as inferior as we were reading this

in some case studies at college. men treat women badly like dirt

I agree but I am aware that if a male is undermining a woman it is inequality if a man undermines another man it is bullying. Inequality is still profound but we are women not men so we can not always do what a man does. As a man can not always do what a woman can.

Yeah i still think that men should be better towards women

as often they take them for granted in the workplace and generally

like there still physically and mentally inferior.

other peoples opinions would be appreciated. :)

I am going up to my bed now so don't fear Angelk I will stop! I want to say something probably a little childish. I am not sure men could give birth it may be a stupid thing to say as of course they can't but I think Mother Nature gives us some extra strength. Men that have been at their wives births have a respect is what I have found. :)

I believe that unfortunately, gender inequality does exist in this country in many ways shapes and forms, culturally, socially and legally. I do not believe that the problem flows in one direction or affects one single area. I believe that blaming the opposite gender (which members of both genders are often guilty of) is divisive, counter productive and diverts from the socio-political factors that actually cause and promote inequality such as market forces, the elitist class system and religion.

I also believe that gender roles and stereotypes are fallacious and outdated.

This is the absolute last post I will make on this thread :)

some countries women don't have a choice they have to obey the men.

I do feel happy to be in UK my parents homeland was not like the UK and if I was to have stayed there I wouldn't have many rights at all. That is not to say inequality is ok but western women have alot more than most other places in the world.

I believe that unfortunately, gender inequality does exist in this country in many ways shapes and forms, culturally, socially and legally. I do not believe that the problem flows in one direction or affects one single area. I believe that blaming the opposite gender (which members of both genders are often guilty of) is divisive, counter productive and diverts from the socio-political factors that actually cause and promote inequality such as market forces, the elitist class system and religion.

I also believe that gender roles and stereotypes are fallacious and outdated.

This is the absolute last post I will make on this thread :)

That is a shame as you are very interesting and explain your views in a compelling way. :)

Definitely not. In a million different ways. My most current example is the guy at a party I was at. We were talking in a group about different countries and which parts of their body they shave and I said that most German women didn't shave their armpits and he said "eugh that's SO disgusting."

You tell me one unnecessary, cosmetic procedure that men are told they must do or be deemed disgusting and I will call you a liar.

I HATE IT. I HATE that I have to shave large swathes of my body or be called disgusting by men.

I equally hate it that men are so often stereotyped as stupid, as if that's ok. The whole gender role thing is a total clusterfuck of ridiculousness.

Definitely not. In a million different ways. My most current example is the guy at a party I was at. We were talking in a group about different countries and which parts of their body they shave and I said that most German women didn't shave their armpits and he said "eugh that's SO disgusting."

You tell me one unnecessary, cosmetic procedure that men are told they must do or be deemed disgusting and I will call you a liar.

I HATE IT. I HATE that I have to shave large swathes of my body or be called disgusting by men.

very good point. why do we have to shave? Men don't why should women? Don't get me wrong I could never go without shaving my armpits.

Yes i agree Esme. men are not scrutinized like women.

Theres so many things that make women feel like shit the

way they are advertised and it is often demeaning the way

men define them in a jordan type style. it is unbelieveably fucked up

Hi

I told myself I wouldn't respond to this but actually I can't help myself! I personally don't think ALL men are a specific way and same for all women.. People are individuals. Yes women in some cultures shave or get paid less or must obey men but it's also true that men have to do things..

.. there are now plenty of adverts that advertise the six pack man, white teeth etc. I don't think it's just women who are pressured in to looking a certain way. Most men do shave, most days!

Historically men have been expected to do the 'leg work' with regards to dating, like holding doors open for women, paying the bill etc. now that women are more independent I often wonder how hard it could be for a man to make an impression? And how hard it must (have?) be to be the one expected to make the first move?

Sure they dont have to figure out how to insert a tampon (sorry too much info) or push out a baby, but they do have their own struggles. I guess what I'm trying to say (writing from my phone which is slow) is that I don't believe women have it worse than men and vice versa. Just from my experience from my surroundings in this country. Yes we all have different expectations thrown at us by society/family/ourselves but it's not all one sided.

Just my opinion :-)

I agree with Gullible on this one. Looking at it from another point of view, it is men who are expected to be abusers. It seems to be socially acceptable that a woman says 'I hate men because of A, B, C' but if a man was to say that he would be accused of sexism. It seems to more accepted for a woman to be a lesbian that it is for a man to be gay.

As for the whole shaving thing...well, if a bloke had a load of nose hair or ear hair he would be expected to get rid of that wouldn't he?! ;) I know it sounds random and it sounds like I am practically a bloke :lol: but I just see the inequality everywhere.

If a man was to become a nurse he 'must' be gay or a failed a doctor. But I do see that the majority of top jobs, especially celebrity jobs, are male dominated e.g. nicki clarke as hairdresser, gordon ramsay as chef...

I think we (as in the UK) have it pretty ok when it comes to this stuff tbh.

Just my take :rolleyes:

I agree but I am aware that if a male is undermining a woman it is inequality if a man undermines another man it is bullying. Inequality is still profound but we are women not men so we can not always do what a man does. As a man can not always do what a woman can.

Man undermining woman can totally be bullying too. Sure it might be discrimination also, but bullying it certainly can be. I've been bullied by so many men [strangers treating me like shit] to believe otherwise. To view it as simply 'inequality' in my view totally minimises how damaging it can be.

I think generaly woman are treated with unequality i.e pay is lower than thier male counterpart, some unfortunatly are seem as objects by the neanderthals out there and I do think that the stigma of being weak is still there even in 2012???????

On the other hand when it come to (and I see this as general life as it is common) children, women have all rights, in practice/ reality and thier counterpart none.

:)

If a woman had a load of nose and ear hair, she'd also be expected to get rid of it. Sure, men have it bad in a lot of ways as well - but when you look at pretty much any industry, it's all run by men. If you look at music, there are loads of unattractive male singers who are really successful and respected, but it's hard to think of many female artists who aren't attractive. And more often than not, women in music (especially pop music) have their clothes off most of the time. Nothing wrong with it, but it is EVERYONE. Why does Justin Bieber not have to dance about topless to be successful?

Beyond that, it really irritates me that women are rarely respected in music in the same way. Men are always being called a "genius", "legend" etc, but it's rare to find a woman being called the same thing.

Quite an interesting topic this one. My own personal view is - things have moved on dramatically for women over the years (and so it needed to) but things for men have remained largely the same.

Fathers access to children

Mother and baby changing facilities! (what about those single fathers brining up children).

The automatic assumption that men are abusers and peadophiles in many circles.

Men are still expected by many women to pick up the tab and get the door etc - Look at most of the dramas, films etc out there.

If there is a fight or dangerous situation it is a man thats expected to get stuck in...

A woman automatically is considered a mother for giving birth and assumes the rights as such, men have to (in some cases) fight for their parental rights.

teachers are forever saying to children things such as "when reading with mummy tonight" "dont forget to ask your mum"....

My point is things have changed and continue to change for women but it seems (for at least the issues highlighted above) things are not moving so much for men.

Beyond that, it really irritates me that women are rarely respected in music in the same way. Men are always being called a "genius", "legend" etc, but it's rare to find a woman being called the same thing.

Celine Dion

Whitney Houston

Mariah Carey

aretha franklin

These are just off the top of my head.

Why does Justin Bieber not have to dance about topless to be successful?

Oh lord, the number of times ive seen a man flash is 74 pack on tv....

I agree with the sexual way women are portaid by the media, it's wrong. I have daughters and it worries me. How it is socialy acceptable and almost expected. I think there are very famous women though who will stand the test of time. In religion for one is Mary. There Lady Diana, Maggie Thatcher, The head of the realm and to some the most respected woman on the planet The Queen. Florence NIghtingaile, who basicaly invented the NHS before Brennan. The list can go on and on. Women are very misrepresented. Yet I do find now that the young generation seem to behave in a way that was complained about by women of men and their behaviour and now the roles have turned

:)

Archived