Mental Health Forums

Are Women Treated Equally Or Not?

angelk01

I dont really watch tv so idk about DIY programmes sorry. but it wouldnt suprise me if they had a programme with male DIY people and some pretty girl who talks a lot but never does anything. there are some good female sports presenters (but not pundits) but there are also some really pretty ones who either dont know very much or they arent allowed to give there opinion for some reason

maybe he didnt mean it in a sexist way, maybe he'd spoken to the teachers and the graphic design teacher had said i was crap but the cooking and sewing teachers said i was ok? But I dont think they would have done as i couldnt control the sewing machine and my food was always undercooked and my cooking teacher did ask me in an amazed way why i chose cooking, that was when i told her i'd chosen woodwork but got talked out of it. at least i could drill a hole in wood, it might not be the right size or in the right place but nothing actually fell apart, my cooking and sewing did

but actually i can cook when no one is turning my cooker off or stealing my ingrediants

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess if a bloke chose to do cooking or sewing over woodwork they would get grief from otha ppl. I know I am seeming argumentative but thas not my intention! Lol. Hmm. I need to shut up an accept I have had my say an move on!

I guess if a bloke chose to do cooking or sewing over woodwork they would get grief from otha ppl. I know I am seeming argumentative but thas not my intention! Lol. Hmm. I need to shut up an accept I have had my say an move on!

I have found your opinions interesting and don't wish for you to shut up at all!

I have a friend and her boyfriend is very old fashioned, He has an attitude of " Women should shut up and listen to men speak" :o She does too, If it was me, I would tell him "to get lost", My aunt can't see why I won't iron my husbands clothes, I am his wife not his slave.

This is the 21st century :D Women can be just as bad men though, I would never take any shit of a bloke :)

Yeah that is so not fair. i hope she stand up to him

I have a friend and her boyfriend is very old fashioned, He has an attitude of " Women should shut up and listen to men speak" :o She does too, If it was me, I would tell him "to get lost", My aunt can't see why I won't iron my husbands clothes, I am his wife not his slave.

This is the 21st century :D Women can be just as bad men though, I would never take any shit of a bloke :)

Yeah that is so not fair. i hope she stand up to him

She won't though, she let's him talk to her like that.

I do most of the domestic stuff in our house - it is the least I can do and my wife is usually too knackered from trying to help me not to enter self-destruct mode. does that mean I'm a 'new man'? I don't think so, I'm just doing the best I can. I'm useless at cleaning and tidying by the way so the house is an utter shed.

I open the door for everyone irrespective of gender. Unless I am feeling utterly out of sorts - I normally manage to numb all emotion, but every now and again it all gets too much for me. Then I'll slam the door in your face, again irrespective of gender. All emotion feels the same to me - and people tell me that what I'm showing is anger. Doh!

metrosexual? - maybe its the three months of my wife's pills I took a couple of years back - seemed like a good idea at the time...

Sorry not read all of the replies, but just wanted to say something...

When my biologically female daughter came out as transgender, and started living as a male, everything changed. His attitude, others attitudes, the way people treated him. As a girl he was protected (in some ways) as a boy he is expected to do all of the male things, play football, help with mens jobs, he treats his female friends with sensitivity and care and his male friends punch him. lol.

He wants to be a Graphic designer and is going to college next year, his therapist 18 months ago when he came out said "You will earn more as a male Graphic designer"

I was shocked, C was chuffed. I just thought a graphic designer is a graphic designer, same brain, same designing, same hands to draw. I thought it was a bit un fair on the female G designers.

I do think men are maybe more respected? Like my Psych is surrounded by women, there is no men that work at my mh place that I have seen anyway, he is the top dog, the pinnacle of power. My cpn is female and very up front, but when she is with him and me even she looks intimidated. Not because he is a big scary man, he's quite small and gentle, but because he is male I believe. I do a lot of people watching and I do think men get treated differently. But not in a bad way?

I hold doors open for men, they hold them for me, if a bloke fell over I would help him up, I think sexism doesn't exist like it used to. I know a woman that acts like a bloke, not in a looks way but an attitude way and she is treated like all the men at her work place. By the men and women. Waffling now sorry.

metrosexual? - maybe its the three months of my wife's pills I took a couple of years back - seemed like a good idea at the time...

haha god, you make me laugh, you really do. :)

haha god, you make me laugh, you really do. :)

yeah i can see the funny side of it too lol as maybe there was some female hormones in the pills. xxx

:P

:lol:

LMAO!

My husband actually does do some of the housework especially when I am ill, I won't trust him to do the washing though or the bathrooms :D

He does the cooking at times too :)

Like everything else in my mixed up life, I feel confused about this.

I always wanted to be a girl when I was very little.

Then I was abused repeatedly by a succession of men.

If I were not married I would have a sex change I think.

However I love my wife and always will and she likes me as a man and so a man I will stay.

I could never have sexual contact with a man anyway.

oh i'm really sorry Greenthing. Sorry. xxx

Your a lovely person and all your posts on here are very

positive to others so thanks. I think your very kind and very caring. xxx

Right!!!!!

I agree - women in the UK are of course privy to many more basic rights than women in other countries. For fuck's sake, why are women still being stoned to death for adultery in some countries??? What a load of inhumane indecency is that about???? Hmmmmmm, don't see our (overwhelmingly white, male led) armed forces kicking off about that..

But let's stick with the UK shall we:

Women earn less than men for doing the same jobs

Women are more likely to live in poverty

Women are more likely to raise children in poverty

Despite gaining more qualifications (and better grades) than men at every level of education, men are still more likely to hold management positions

Women are MUCH more likely to be violently assaulted and murdered by their male partners

....then men in the UK.

Please look carefully at the words 'more likely' in my post - I am not saying that men aren't fathers, don't live in poverty and are exempt from domestic violence. Of course they are and do.

However, women are simply more likely to have a worse time, in the UK, than men when it comes to work, safety, financial security...oh and of course with their MH.

So what's going on??? When I was 17 my role models were (and are!) Jim Morrison, PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Ian McCulloch, Madonna......

I now teach 17 year olds, they are ALL female as the course I teach "attracts" female learners (don't even get me started on that one!!). Their role models are Cheryl Cole and Rhianna. When I discussed the issues of domestic violence with them, they ALL, EVERY LAST ONE, thought Rhianna should get back with Chris Brown 'cos he didn't mean it', she 'needs to get a grip' and 'at least she will have a boyfriend'.

The moment that lesson finished, I burst into tears. Of course I tried to calmly debate the issues raised, and I hope some learners changed their minds....but oh my god.

My learners aren't, at this stage, particularly worried about getting high paid jobs or having carrer ambitions....as 'that type of stuff is for blokes'.

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Josh....get your kids out of that school. I can't believe you are allowing them to listen to teachers who say things such as 'when mummy reads to you'. In my own gang of friends, seven of us are teachers working with different age ranges and with children from a huge variety of backgrounds and learning abilities. AS IF we would terminology like that - it is completely against Every Child Matters and the UNCRC.

Can you please make a complaint to the board of governors and let me know what happens? And please refrain from assuming that teachers 'are forever using' such stereotypical language like that - the good ones ie most of them don't. So don't sit back and let your kids be subjected to it as thats a lazy way to think!

**fedup! needs to breathe**!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I can contribute also...

As said earlier in the discussion about inequality lies on both sides. I hold to this, e.g. women have always retired earlier than men (state and work related), in the army (up until most recently) men were sent out to risk their lives in the infantry. Men are also expected, by some social convention, to pay for first date, first meals etc. whilst women use their femininity to get ahead.

I agree with fedup on the inequality of women relating to pay and bonuses - women have always been expected to take maternity leave at some point in their career, so businesses tend not to make much investment/training in them so men get ahead. At the top of the business world, FTSE index companies, over 95% of heads are male.

But in this man dominated world, there are a lot of stigmas attached, e.g. it's ok for woman to flaunt her body and nakedness on page 3, and lesbianism is considered fine, but being gay, and homo eroticism is met with disgust and shame.

It is generally acceptable for a woman to beat and abuse a man (legally now it's not) but if a man complained about being abused, then society would class him as a wuss, gay, etc. but dare a man now even shout at a women and it's labelled under many guises - emotional, mental abuse etc.

As walker said, a male teacher is treated with suspicion throughout his career and has to take extra precautions in the classroom to avoid any perception of impropriety, such as sitting diagonally a female student, a nursery or primary male teacher is looked upon as gay/less masculine. It is ridiculous.

Pardoner can I ask how old you are?? No worries if you don't want to say! The reason I ask is, my friends (male and female) are all roughly aged from 27-40ish. None of us would ever think it's acceptable for women to just assume that men would pay for women on dates - the whole notion goes against the entire foundation of equality that, please god/Thor/Krishna/big bang, we are ALL striving for.

Of course, if someone invites someone out on a date and says 'my treat' - whether they are male, female, gay, straight, bi, not sure, don't care etc - then that is a lovely gesture! However, surely no-one still assumes that men should pay? How rude, how cheeky!

But....is this the case??? The reason i asked your age (sorry if i'm being nosey!) is that my learners believe men should be the main breadwinners and should, of course, pay for dates......

Am so terrified we are going backwards xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Their role models are Cheryl Cole and Rhianna. When I discussed the issues of domestic violence with them, they ALL, EVERY LAST ONE, thought Rhianna should get back with Chris Brown 'cos he didn't mean it', she 'needs to get a grip' and 'at least she will have a boyfriend'."

This has shocked me so much so I read it out to my husband (I hope you don't mind), he is also shocked. What has happened to the generation you teach? It is asthough there has been some regression in attitudes towards domestic violence.

i think that i agree that history will judge that women in the uk did not achieve equality in the late 20th century, but that since then the situation has begun to get worse again.

there are plenty of parts of the world where women have a much worse deal than the UK, and very few with genuine equality.

do I think this is because men are better than women? no, but, generalising wildly, men like bullying more and they are physically stronger - however i am not an unbiased observer... personally i think that women often make better managers than men because they don't let testosterone get in the way of common sense.

should men and women have equality? yes

is this achievable? don't know

should we try to achieve it? yes

I agree I agree I agree!!!!!

I wonder if the role models for young women these days are so confused......e.g. the WAGS at the last world cup was a really bizarre phenomenon for me, I couldn't believe how the players partners got so much attention! Why wasn't there an outcry at the lack of coverage for women's football for example??

I really do worry for my learners at the mo. Something has happened culturally - they are quite bitchy towards each other, many of them strive to be a size 6 and they put up with their boyfriends cheating on them as they just want to have a bloke in their lives.These young people are not 12 or 13 - they're 17 and 18. My colleagues who teach on other courses also report similar stories when discussing young women - many have noticed a definate change in attitudes over the years.

It's really worrying! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

i think that i agree that history will judge that women in the uk did not achieve equality in the late 20th century, but that since then the situation has begun to get worse again.

there are plenty of parts of the world where women have a much worse deal than the UK, and very few with genuine equality.

do I think this is because men are better than women? no, but, generalising wildly, men like bullying more and they are physically stronger - however i am not an unbiased observer... personally i think that women often make better managers than men because they don't let testosterone get in the way of common sense.

should men and women have equality? yes

is this achievable? don't know

should we try to achieve it? yes

yeah i really like your positive on equality greenthing very well said. :). xxx

Archived