Mental Health Forums

Don't Understand It.

x-Bliss-x

I'm really confused. For once, I can actually SEE that I have lost weight. With the help of my loose jeans. I now have to wear a belt but didn't before.

Before is before my camping holiday. We went to the Peak District (UK) on a camping holiday. It was 4 days of walking and for 2 of the days it was in heavy thick snow. It was quite amazing but at the same time, pretty hard going. We climed one of the peaks on the wednesday in it. The snow was literally up to my knees so that will give you an idea of how much work we had to do to get up and over.

I'm really not doing well with food and didn't eat much over the week. But when I got home and weighed myself the next morning. I had actually gained weight! I gained the weight I'd lost the previous week. I don't understand it. Usually it's me losing weight and not being able to see it. But this time, I was SURE i'd lost weight and was really upset when I saw the numbers on the scale. :(

Anyone else had this? I'm really worried now that my scales arn't working or are wrong.

Hey, I was thinking along the same lines as esme, Maybe you have built more muscle mass and that's what is weighing more.... although I'm not sure 4 days of walking would build up enough muscle to be noticeable on the scales... who knows?

I just wanted to say that I have felt the same before, where I have been convinced that I have lost weight only to see that I have put it on!! Its so frustrating.

((hugs))

x

Weight is a funny thing, the best time to weigh yourself is in the morning before you have had anything to eat. Also your weight can fluctuate about 2 lbs throughout the day. So when you weighed yourself and what you were wearing at the time can be a big factor. Water retention and all of that can also affect it. If you clothes are fitting looser then most likely you lost some fat, but you could have gained muscle mass which weighs more than fat.

When I am trying to loose weight I try to stay away from scales, they are different each time and usually just screw with us. I base it off of inches lost and how my clothes fit. If my clothes are getting too big, then they have either stretched out or I've lost some fat.

Either way, if you are wnating to loose weight then I hope that you have lost fat :)

Scales can be so misleading! As people have said, depending on what time of day you weigh. I can have a half a stone difference in a day. Morning is best.x

Having said this, sounds like you did a lot of walking, climbing & have toned yourself up without even knowing it, so I bet you feel fitter, look fitter, built up lots of muscles that you probably didn't even know you had, and yes, toned muscle weight is heavier than untoned fat. So try and forget those scales, they only tell a small part of the picture.

I bet you look great.x

Archived