Mental Health Forums

Getting Them To Give You Meds

AmyP

i know meds aren't the best way to deal with things, and ive been told that they aren't the solution in my case, which i fully accept, but i cant stand feeling like this. when i saw my gp when i got out of hospital i told her that the lorazepam they had given me when i was feeling anx really helped, an she just said well i'd rather you didn't rely on meds. i mean that's fair enough, but theyr bloody there to help people through these feelings! i read on here people on different meds to try and help, an i just dont get it. maybe im just a fake and they know that. maybe im just exaggerating how bad i feel an people feel a hell of a lot worse than i do.

ask for diazapam mine wont give lorazepam but if i ask for 10 diazapam he will but i dont take them unless i aboultley have to

Hey pandora, I think it depends on different GP's

Each time I visit my GP she gives me enough diazipam for 2 a day for a whole month! Probs not the best idea like and I try not to use them. But ask them about diazipam as I believe its not a "strong" as lorazapam.

xx

These types of meds (Benzos for anxiety: Lorazepam, Clonazepam, Diazepam etc and Z Drugs for insomnia: Zopiclone and Ambien etc) can help in the short term (2-4 weeks....possibly 6 weeks max), combined with using them properly, i.e not everyday.

But in the long term they are highly addictive and will ultimately make your Anxiety and other problems worse.

From a different persepective, this is likely why your GP said no and not because they think you are fake or that your problems are any less worse than others.

Some GP's and Psychiatrists tend to hand these types of meds out like sweets, causing addiction and making the patients issues worse than what they were before they started on them. Alot of professionals are now catching on to the fact that these medications should not be handed out so frivolously because of the amount of addictions they have caused.

If you are not taking any medications at all, it may be good idea to discuss with your GP or Psychiatrist other medications; Such as Anti-Depressants with Anti-Anxiety properties, or a prn or small daily dose of an Anti-Psychotic such as Quetiapine/Seroquel. These medications can also be taken together if needed. Try not to lose hope, it can often take time to find the correct combination of medications to help you.

Aurora :)

@ Ollie - Yes, Lorazepam is a lot stronger than Diazepam. 1mg of Lorazepam is equivalent to 10mg of Diazepam. But they are all as equally addictive as eachother.

thanks ollie i will ask an see what she says xx

yeh i see what you mean rory hun, i dont want to get dependent on them and would rather not need them, but would be nice to have some as a back up for when the anx or paranoid thoughts etc get too much xx

I understand what you mean Pandora, It is important that we don't rely on medication as it is just a small part of the recovery process but I do believe it should be accessible when we need it as you say during times when we have high levels of anxiety or paranoia etc.

xxx

i do wonder sometimes whether seeing a psych for meds would be better, as gp's have limited knowledge on mh. or maybe im being harsh to them, they may have more of an understanding than im aware of xx

Thats a good idea Pandora :)

Normally my GP deals with my meds but I'm going to talk to my psych doc tomorrow about them as I think they are in a better position to advise!

xxx

i have a care coordinator back where my parents are, but she's useless to put it nicely. might ask her tho, can't hurt to ask xx

Archived