Mental Health Forums

Star Ratings? Any Opinions?

Benway

I would just like to open this for possible discussion, about the rating star system.

Recently I have noticed that people who have always had a 5 star 'rating' have been losing stars.

I think I would be a bit hurt if i were having a bad day and saw my stars marked down.

I know it is part of the software etc. - I don't want to 'start a campaign' or anything!

Tbh I have once maliciously given someone 1 star in the hope it would bring their star rating down. (It did)

If i see people with low stars I sometimes give them 5. So i guess thats abuse of it too?

Please don't construe this as a complaint, I am more than happy with the site, and thankful for it, but I was wondering if any of yous' had any thoughts on it? Hugs xx a.m

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to be perfectly honest i never look at ratings, mine or other peoples... mainly cos the system has been abused so much in the past... i just take people as i find them on the boards and make up my own mind about someone...

I don't believe I've ever even noticed another persons star rating let alone contributed to said rating.

I prefer to form my own opinions on a person based on what I've learnt about her/him rather than on that person's reputation. In an ideal world, one would hope that everybody else did the same.

Furthermore, I'm quite realistic enough to recognise that not everybody will have me down as a 5 star kind of guy so the system, if anything, is rather hollow. Nevertheless, it's one of those things I'm completely ambivalent towards.

I've only got 3 stars but then again there are still plenty of people on here who don't like me so I suppose it would be unrealistic to expect anything different :).

I only haves 2 stars :(

I do believe though its based on an average so if 2 people rated you 1 star and 2 people rated you 5 star then you rating would show at 3 which is the average I think aha! I cant say Ive ever paid attention to it!

xx

I only started to notice them recently as some members that are here a good while had suddenly started to go down to 3 stars- yes you included Data.

I agree Ollie i think you've explained how it works.

Tbh i feel a bit petty for starting this now!

I only haves 2 stars :(

I do believe though its based on an average so if 2 people rated you 1 star and 2 people rated you 5 star then you rating would show at 3 which is the average I think aha! I cant say Ive ever paid attention to it!

xx

got you up to 4 now :)

I did a member search and compiled some stats. At this very moment there are 53 members with 1000 posts or more in total, who have also made at least one post within the last month (so that excludes inactive members).

0 members have 0, 1 or 2 stars

5 members have 3 stars (including me)

11 members have 4 stars

37 members have 5 stars

I guess I am not Mr Popular then. I must admit that I'd like to be popular and respected on here, and it hurts me if I am not.

But then again, I would never compromise my integrity to try and gain popularity. I always say what I think is right, not what people necessarily want to here. I think the difference is, nowadays, I have learned when to shut up :).

EDIT: I'm up to 4 stars now, woohoo! lol

I only have 3 stars. Do I care? A little bit, but mostly I know that loads of people don't like me so why should it be different here?

I did a member search and compiled some stats. At this very moment there are 53 members with 1000 posts or more in total, who have also made at least one post within the last month (so that excludes inactive members).

0 members have 0, 1 or 2 stars

5 members have 3 stars (including me)

11 members have 4 stars

37 members have 5 stars

I guess I am not Mr Popular then. I must admit that I'd like to be popular and respected on here, and it hurts me if I am not.

But then again, I would never compromise my integrity to try and gain popularity. I always say what I think is right, not what people necessarily want to here. I think the difference is, nowadays, I have learned when to shut up :).

EDIT: I'm up to 4 stars now, woohoo! lol

For this intriguing Data alone, I tried to bump you up to five stars but I fell short. So I gave you a rep point instead :)

Ironically, by that measurement, you're close to being twice as popular as I am!

Ironically, by that measurement, you're close to being twice as popular as I am!

Actually, I just underestimated myself quite a fair bit. And there I was thinking I was a bit of an egotist :D

And now I'm lolling because many people reading this thread went on my profile. Presumably to see if I really did have a five star rating :lol:

Thanks for this thread badkitteh :)

Ha ha, I have checked out everyone's star rating on this thread now. I never even noticed we had such a thing before. Rep points, star ratings, it's like a bloody popularity contest in here.

I had 5 stars a few days ago just looked again and now I have 3! If I've upset someone then you can let me know or not, I think it is all unimportant in the grand scale of things. :)

Ive been on here for years o havent really looked at anyones stars as its been said i take each post as it comes

if someone annoys me i wouldnt go and mark them down as its petty i would rather say and wait for the attack!!

Archived