Mental Health Forums

Star Ratings? Any Opinions?

Benway

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleasantly surprised when I looked at mine. So thanks to whoever gave me a 5 star :)

I've never taken much notice or voted on anyone's before.

xx

Aw, people have voted me up. Thanks peeps.

I've never even noticed we had that feature before and I have to say that it's a bit silly (obv not blaming the mods/Josh, it's just part of the system). What I hate about stuff like that is that it's anonymous. What I like about here is that you can be pretty sure people only have one account (I think - I remember people being thrown off for multiple accounts in the past) so you are pretty much accountable for yourself. If you've had an argument or you think someone's being a knob, you have to either deal with it or ignore the person. When you have an anonymous star system, it sort of encourages people to go behind your back instead of sorting it out or just leaving it. And those are, pretty much the skills we should be learning, isn't it?

AM, I think it's great you admitted that you used it out of badness. It sounds like the kind of thing I would do (or would have done, maybe, in the past) if I was in a bad mood. If it was a system where you had to, I don't know, leave your name, or say WHY you are giving that person a low/high rating, it might make people stop n think. Cos I do think it could bring you down, if you were in a bad place.

After all, what does it even mean? Oh I am a 3/4/5 star member of the forum! Yay! I am a good/bad/indifferent person!

I know that there will always be people who don't like my style. I've noticed recently a couple of people have said I "tell it how it is". I don't know if that's necessarily true and sometimes I feel like it's actually just a way of saying I'm a massive, mouthy bitch or that I'm not sympathetic enough. So maybe some people have given me one star or whatever because I've upset them. But it would probably do me, and the other person, more good if they actually spoke up about it and said why I'd upset them.

It's kind of the same with the rep points. I've never really got why they are there, I don't feel like they really do any good.

I don't think the star thing should be here. Its probably a generic part of the forum software that Josh has bought, but its not a good thing. It can be used as a tool for bullies. And if it is being used honestly, then you don't know why the people have marked you down so its pretty useless feedback. I must admit, I've never really looked at the stars thing until I read this thread, and I've been here for years lol.

The reputation thing is a bit different. With that, you are judging the post, not the person - so it gives constructive feedback. Well that's the theory anyway ;).

Esme I said I like the way you are upfront and that isn't a way of saying I think anything negative about you. I find your posts refreshing. :)

Where do you see the number of stars...?

on your profile Apple, They are yellow if someone has clicked on them :) will give you some now.xxx

Hahahaaaaaaa never thought the stars meant anything, seriously just thought they were pretty twinkly graphics!!!!!!!

Never realised it was all about 'liking' a post or whatever.....takes me back to the bad old days of this forum where we had a 'reputation points' system thing...it caused murder if I remember rightly!!

So, I will excuse myself from the stars rating thingie if that's OK xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Haha remember the negative reds we used have?

I'm glad they're gone. I used *dislike* percieved opponents posts ... even worse i claimed twice i clicked on the *dislike* button accidentally. *the shame*

Bibiddi if you read this you called me out on that and you were right!! (sorry)

Feeling strangely confessional today, xx am

i'm not sure that great people like data should have 3 stars - makes no sense...

Aww thanks :).

A lot of people would disagree though.

Got to admit, I really try to ignore the whole star/rep/'like' buttons....

Software works the way it works - and this is not a complaint! - but I don't think they are wholly appropriate for a site like this. I guess I think that if we want to say something nice and appreciative we should try and say it, and likewise, if we disagree, try and talk about it in a constructive way.

Which is much harder than starring or 'liking' something. But I suppose I think stuff like that just preys on our insecurities.

Which is why I'm loving this thread and the fact no one is taking them seriously! lol

sigh, what a ridiculous thread this has turned into. It's a poor system, people acknowledge its a poor system then use it by pretty much 'trading' stars. If its so silly then why not just ignore it rather than giving eachother stars...

It only serves as a tool for people to grief with anyway. Can understand people trying to offset that but still...

haha i appear to have 5 shiny gold stars from somewhere......never noticed them til this thread made me look.....couldnt give a toss really have no idea why or how you get them but it must meen someone likes me eh

if id looked and didnt have any though i probly would have been gutted so not a fan of the system whatever it is i also apear to have a number and i know not what that represents either.....will have to start cruising peoples profiles to see how fab or not i am lol i will not be doing that btw .....

I don't really like it but its not something i really notice unless i go to someones profile and i hardly ever do that. even when i do i dont always notice the stars but if i do notice them and the person doesnt have 5 i give them 5. but i can honestly go weeks and weeks without remembering they exist

I dont like it but i think Josh said before theres nothing he can do about them so i just try to ignore them and never check my profile!

Harm? For people using it as a griefing tool?People are naturally going to feel bad on a site like this when they've been anonymously voted down. The good just doesn't outweigh the bad.

Sigh, shouldn't be so confrontational but its just an annoying feature.

I don't understand what a griefing tool is, I guess you mean marking people down just to be bad. I meant where's the harm in marking people up if you see they are down.

No need to get snippy. I clearly said in a previous post that I also think the star system is stupid on a site like this.

just oh dear - don't like it when people get upset with each other.

((((hugs)))) - sorry for the mystery - feeling a bit sensitive for no good reason

Archived