Mental Health Forums

Question For The Ladies [Pms]

JasmineRose

I get quite severe pre-menstrual symptoms. Closer to PMDD really. Though I get lowness, rage and paranoid symptoms when they're triggered at other points in my cycle, the feeling beneath them is quite specific the week or so before I'm due 'on'.

What I mean is, they seem to radiate out from my womb/uterus whatever you prefer to call it.

Just now, a flat close by was banging loudly. Probably doing some maintenance work or whatever. But the rage in me! I just cannot bear loud sounds at this totm, well, any time, but especially now. Reverberating sounds are worst. Like the banging. And the rage and panic and distress I feel it very clearly centred from my womb. I also have [very mild at the moment] cramps there. It's day 26 of a cycle that's usually around 31 days.

Does anyone else get this?

I don't quite know what to do about it. Some months are worst than others. I've been taking Agnus Castus though I know I need to take it a while. I have various complementary health options, flower remedies are good. I refuse any hormonal treatment as I disagree with it ethically, and apparently I don't even have PMS...

Ideas?

I dont use it myself but I have heard good things about Evening Primrose Oil wrt PMT and stuff...

And Rescue Remedy is handy too for lots of things, this stuff included - i do use that :)

Other than that lavender is good for calming...

I may thnik of more but that's all off teh top of my head...

sorry you suffer bad with this - that's sucky :(

xx

Thanks. :)

The main problem is this visceral out of control rage that is centred right *there*. Feeling helpless and frantic and very very angry. But I feel where it comes from physically.

I'm trying to trace and monitor/observe it. Though that in itself is quite a challenge.

EPO unforunately made little difference to me, Starflower Oil a bit, for a while, then it stopped.

I find myself a bit similar, if people are banging, or someone is just snoring, or just a continous annoying noise and it cant fetch rage in me when I'm due on. I'm also very emotional and cry quite a bit.

I find that deep breaths and removing myself from the situation are the only things that really help me. Hot bubble baths too.

Have you tried learning about essential oils/getting an oil burner? I went on an aromatherapy course not long ago and it was pretty useful too.

Thanks so much. I've been crying lots too, though there has been external stress on top. I see the crying as a fairly positive sign, as it's more manageable...

I've got some essential oils, and know a bit about aromatherapy. I used to have an oil burner.

A bubble bath would be great, or a geranium and frankincense one [heaven] but baths are rare for me due to flatmates and also the stompy bods who live above. [and who also play guitar. grrr.]

Try playing your own music or tv loud enough so you can't hear the noise others are making. I listen to music loud in the bath, so it drowns out any external noise that might stress me out.

How come you can't have a bath because of your flatmate?

Also an idea is to invest in a pair of good quality ear plugs.

Thanks. :)

Yes, I have my iPod on right now. And I've got some good ear plugs [but will only use them at night.]

Cost of gas, and also due to them [mainly her son] needing the loo. I shower every morning though. And bath when they're away a couple of times..

I know this feeling well. My symptoms and general tolerance rapidly deteriorate when I've got pms. Don't really take anything but sometimes just remembering what time of the month it is is enough. I know it will pass and is only for a few days. I've got worse as I've got older.

It feels like mine's got worse, but in reality it's been much the same, with some months much milder than others..

Yes, it will pass, I just feel stuck in these moments of darkness.

Hi Jasmine

I take evening primrose oil, magnesium and vit B6 for PMS. I get to the point with PMS when I just want to smash my head off the wall, pull my hair out and sit on the floor and cry but this combination seems to be making things a lot easier. xx

Hi Jasmine

I used to get both tearful, short tempered and sometimes suicidally depressed the week before I came on, but because I've never been cyclical, it took me years to figure it out.

Eventually, I asked my GP about going on the pill - which was a calculated risk, because it can make moods worse. For me, its helped - things are better, although if I feel crap anyway, PMS will make me feel crappier. I totally respect that this isn't an acceptable option for you.

I also have friends who have had good results with evening primrose oil, and I tried starflower oil for a while as a teenager, can't really remember much about it tho!

Oil burner - especially lavender or sandalwood for me! - helps, nice hot bath, or even hot shower followed by snuggling under the duvet helps. The thing I really liked (and can no longer do because I don't have a microwave) was heating up my warmable bunny rabbit stuffed animal, and thus having both a hot water bottle and something to cuddle!

Hope you feel better soon

Mousex

I understand the rage really well and that little concoction that I posted earlier in the thread really does seem to help me. ((((Jasmine)))) xx

I hadn't seen the last page before typing the above, and replying to those posts now. :)

cm, I know the feeling! I take magnesium, more for sleep, but have been using a higher dose recently, which might be helping a bit, or take longer to sink in. I don't tolerate B vits separately well at all, though I do take a multiv and mineral supplement.

Mouse, thank you for understanding. And, Sandalwood sounds good, I don't have that one, but might try it.

I have vitB1 (tiamine) intolerance, it feels like food poisoning, so I can't take B complex. Pantothenic acid (B5) separatelyseems to help me periodwise.

I've noticed everything that is beneficial for my stomach , improves my moods.

Thanks Nat.

I have my period now, heh.

Vitamin B does for me the opposite of what it is meant to do. I have no idea why it would do that.

And Agnus Castus seems to make me so much more tearful, though I can deal with that.

Archived