Mental Health Forums

Therapy Went Sooo Bad.

Dibley

So, 2nd time at therapy, and it looks like my last. She is referring me back to my doctor.

It's kind of both our faults I guess.

I couldn't speak, I just answered whatever she asked with simple answers, not wanting to give anything away. Because I'm so paranoid, I don't trust her, I don't like people, I don't want to tell strangers my life and I guess I don't believe I can get better.

She was like, it's saying on your notes this and that, but I'm not seeing any of this, we are very busy bla bla bla. She then left the room for a few minutes and when she came back she said she will refer me back to my doctor, and if he thinks I still need it then he can refer me back or look for alternative treatments.

You know, I'm more pissed off than anything else.

Wow she sounds useless!

Did you tell her what you have just told us here, that you are paranoid and don't want to tell people? Maybe that could have been a starting point - is there any way you can get another appointment with her?

Sorry it went so bad. Sometimes it takes a while for us to find the therapist that is right for us.

No, I didn't actually. I never really started anything with her. I was hoping she would know what to do and start things. All she would say was "tell me why you are here" "what do you want from us", and that's it basically.

Eh therapists like to do that, they like us to know what we want...

How are you feeling about the whole thing? I hope this doesn't put you off therapy xx

I don't know really. At the time I thought f*ck her, f*ck it all, this is the reason why i don't like people. Now, I feel a bit different, but not sure how really. xx

A sensitive therapist would understand and be with you through your anxiety and wariness. They would pick it up and be gentle with it. Some just do cold and clinical.

Thank you. She was only my 2nd therapist, and I feel they were both the same. At the end of the day it is just a job to them, then don't care if I come or go. xx

Wow, that's really harsh! I guess there's some resentment on your Dr's part about wanting to help you but then being referred back? I think you need to explain your difficulties to them and the busy attitude from this counsellor. If that comment hadn't of been made or the thing about the notes, then I would encourage you to try and give it another go but outline your insecurities in a further session. However, I think it would be pretty destructive to continue working with that person so you should just talk to your Dr and ask for a care coordinator instead. I'm getting one of these. I'm guessing your counselling is through the NHS? And would I be right in thinking there are 12 sessions? My understanding of this care coordinator is that it's a permanent thing. Likewise, I think a CPN would be too although not sure if you'd need that. Have you ever seen anyone about the paranoia before? x

What is a care coordinator? It is NHS yes, I'm not how many sessions it is, I'm not sure they told me. Paranoia has only recently started coming through as serious as it is. Before I was only paranoid about homelife, but now, it's work as well and everything else, Not in a great place today. Thank you for replying. xx

Hi,

I believe it's someone who helps you to manage moods/helps you sort out everyday difficulties you might have re finances, housing...whatever. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure as it's just been offered to me. You should definitely ask your Dr about intensive support. These counselling sessions seem strained and you need to work with someone on a long term basis. You really need to tell the Dr how bad things are. The alternative would be losing trust in that person/being suspicious of their help and you obvs don't want that. Go with someone if it helps. No worries :) x

HeadHurts, i am gutted for you that therapy has gone badly...your therapist sounds quite harsh referring you back to your doctor only on the 2nd session.

I hope your doctor could suggest a better therapy course or something like. (((headhurts))) xx

Hi,

I just found out from someone in the profession that you can't see a care coordinator unless you're in contact with a Psych. I'm trying to find out what other options I have at the moment. x

Archived