Mental Health Forums

Travelling And Claustrophobia!

fedup!

Evening folks,

So, as we now all know i'm suddenly in love with Paris! Really want to go back asap, but am asking for advice from anyone who has travelled there via Eurostar.

I'm a lot less claustrophobic and panicky and irrational than I used to be - I could just about handle the flight to and from Paris (which lasted for a whole hour..!) but basically, two large glasses of wine before each flight helped with that. To be honest though, the thought of a flight of anything more than 2 1/2hours scares me.

The thought of travelling by Eurostar unnerves me, but everyone says it's the best way to go, as it cuts out the looooooooooooong wait at the airport and the plane might get delayed anyway.

There's no way I could go by boat, I'd be too terrified. So, has anyone here travelled to Paris on eurostar? Exactly how long are you underground for? Is it scarey or not that bad? Am i better off getting a flight? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Fedup

I've travelled on eurostar quite a few times. You're underground for about half n hour. The journey as a whole is about 2h15 and the great thing about trains is that you can move around if you want. You have to be there 30mins before the train leaves and you arrive at the Gare de Nord which is really easy to get connecting tube services to the centre of Paris.

Its not at all claustrophobic and you're there before you know it :)

hope this helps

starry xxx

edit : P.s Having a good book or games on a laptop is also a good way to pass the time x

That's great starry - thanks so much!!

Am really pleased that I'm even considering these options - this is a huge leap for me. Yay! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have never been on the eurostar and i really dont want to but if there is somewhere you want to go that involves travelling in a way that sounds scary it is really good that you are even thinking about going. even if you dont go the fact you are thinking about it shows progress

my mum says paris to hartforshire by eurostar is quicker than cardiff to hartfordshire by train, idk if thats true but it sounds like eurostar must be really fast

Pleased you enjoyed Paris, it is really a special place. This is a pointless post from me really, because I was going to say to fly or go on a boat. I couldn't go underground, but if you did, it would be a n achievement and a step forward for you maybe? xx

i have used the tunnel - i was absolutely terrified, but my wife booked it withou telling me so i didn't have a lot of choice - it turned out to be soooooo much easier that i thought it would be - as starry said, the bit underground is only about half an hour - it is just like being on a train at night and you can trundle off to the loo etc whenever you want. it is millions better than the london underground because the train is not crowded, the carriages are bigger and it doesn't wobble about...

Archived