Mental Health Forums

Cmht Discharge And New Diagnosis

Data

I saw a new pdoc for an assessment a few weeks ago, and recently I received her letter confirming I have been discharged. The recommended "treatment" is to carry on with my counselling and take quetiapine 25mg for "symptomatic relief" as and when needed.

She said "My impression is that .... suffers from mixed type personality disorder with traits from avoidant and emotionally unstsable ones but also complicated by some of the autistic symptoms".

The avoidant traits came as a surprise to me. If that is true, then part of the reason why I have no social life must be because of my own insecurity. To be honest, I thought it was mostly because I struggle to find clubs or groups that I am interested in and have people of my age in. But I guess there is much more to it than that. Its partly because I avoid people because I find relationships emotionally too difficult. My marriage seems more "safe" than other relationships and so I manage with that (my wife and I have been together for a long time).

In a way its a bit frustrating because its a bit of a non-diagnosis. I can't tell what is a symptom of my mental disorder and what is not. Mind you, perhaps that could have advantages as well... I can't use a label as an excuse? (That last comment isn't a criticism of anyone here, by the way).

Hi Data,

Its a bit... final isn't it? And i agree about it it being a bit of a non-dx, a little bit of this, some of that, ust a touch of this = 25mg seroquel & your own councelling. Thank you, drive through!

I dunno about you, but I know I feel better when 'supported'.

I have often read threads where you would write about going out socially to MIND, or to try a new activity, and you do seem to feel awkward in unfimiliar soc situations. Relate to friendships being difficult sometimes- half the shite i post on here is to do with friends and how should i deal with some situation regarding them.

Best wishes a.m

To be honest I expected to be discharged because the CMHT have nothing to offer me. This is typical of the NHS though; they concentrate on medication, and short-term therapies like CBT. Also, quite rightly, the focus is on people who are deemed to have more severe mental health needs than me, i.e. those who cannot hold down a job or a relationship. I have some freedom with my quetiapine, I can take 0-150mg as required, so if I have a little crisis it will get me by. And my counsellor is quite good.

the nhs is good in parts... i'm sorry to say that many of us with that kind of diagnosis get that kind of treatment

I once received a discharge letter three weeks after being found by an off-duty doctor wandering around the grounds of the local hospital in a dissociative state looking for my therapist - he took me to A and E but I did not know who I was or where I had come from. As i was dressed in a shitty skirt they correctly deduced that I might be a bit unwell so they used my phone to call my wife who came and took me home - didn't stop the local mental health services deciding that I was doing OK and could be discharged...

Archived