Mental Health Forums

Lamotragine Blues..

Tan19

Hi everyone..

I was diagnosed with bpd 4 months ago and I was given lamotragine to steady my moods by my doctors.

I didn't know what to expect from the pills and was first put on 25 mg a day. It seemed to help but at times my bpd would over power my urge to take the pill so I stopped.

I wanted to prove to my partner and myself I wasn't ill and that I didn't need any meds.

Big mistake.

The times I was off of my meds I went crazy...huge rages..smashing my things (a new 400 pound iPad being one of them) crying all the time etc.

I returned to the doctors and they kept changing my dosages up to 50 down again and up to 100 .

They don't understand my condition.

But to cut it short I took it upon myself to monitor my moods and when I feel my calmness wearing off? If that makes sense? So I take a 50mg pill every 4hours.

It works out at me taking about 200mg daily.

Is this ok? And also is there any one here who takes lamotragine?

Please tell me your experiences of it? Does it work? What exactly does it do?

Im struggling to see the point of taking it anymore??

Sometimes I just don't know what to do atall.

What if it's making me worse and not better and I didnt know?

What if it's tricking me into believing I'm ok when I'm not?

What if I don't even have bpd and all the feeling I have and things I've done is just because I'm that much of a bad person??

Ahhh I don't know what to think anymore

I was suppose to take them again today but I decided not to, maybe that's why I'm feeling a bit confused,

But I really don't know.

Some advice or experiences with this pill would be really appreciated

Thanks x

i take 200mg a day in 2 doses, been on so much stuff really cant say it helps me much, mine is to help with depression but think for you its worth a go, but self prescribing, if thats what you are doing isnt a good idea

Thanks for the reply..

Yeah I guess it's not great to self medicate but I feel as if I have no choice really?

The doctor wasn't helpful and my life was becoming unbearable

I just take what I think makes me feel ok? Not high or anything.. Just not so angry,frustrated etc.

I checked online and 200mg is a safe dosage.

But I will try and ask the psychiatrist this week..maybe they will have some answers

Thanks again for replying x

yes i understand though if you are taking different doses on different days i think this will affect it effectiveness.

hope you dr agrees with the increase in dose. x

Hi there, I'm on 200mg a day. My cpn said this is the usual dose when prescribed as a mood stabiliser. I had to start taking it at 25mg and increase the dose by 25mg every 2 weeks till I got to 200 because in very rare cases it caan trigger a serious rash. Once I got up to that dose it made a huge difference and the depression side of my moods has been much better this past year (still happens but not as bad or for as long). If I miss a dose or misuse them I really feel it (dizziness, headaches and so on). I therefore recommend giving them a good try being careful to use them as prescribed. If there is no improvement when using them as directed, then you will know if they don't help. Good luck with them, they were the 7th med I tried and I'm so glad I kept trying till I found the right one for me.

Shadow girl thanks for the reply, I'm glad you have something that works for you :)

Hopefully they will help me aswell.

I'm going to try and give them more of a chance because up u too now I've been starting and stopping,

I just hope they work.

x

Archived