Mental Health Forums

Mirtazapine

AppleCrumble

I had my first dose of 15mg of mirtazapine last night, about to have my 2nd dose shortly. I'll be going up to 30mg next week...

I have got a serious case of the munchies... even though I feel sick, don't fancy any food... I can't stop thinking about food and feeling hungry!! even though I feel stuffed at the same time :/

Anyone else got any experiences like this?? Apparently people have ballooned from 8stones to 11 stones being on it!! I really think this would make my anxiety worse around people, I feel self conscious around people as it is, anxious eating in public etc... :/

If the drug works, then I'll stay on it because mood is more important than weight (unless the weight puts me at risk of other things), but I'm seriously worried about how fat I'll be getting, how to not eat - it is costing way too much money! I have a wedding dress to fit into (not that it would matter if I die next week with depression I know...) but argh :/ I'm the fattest in my office as it is...

xx

i was going to be put on mirtazapine but i asked not to be because i had heard of people getting the munchies. could you make some healthy snacks to munch on like carrot sticks? xx

((((hugs)))) - one thing they have not tried me on - sorry

incidentally a much nicer description than 'fattest in the office' is 'most beautifully curvaceous' :blush02:

I was put on it awhile back and I had bad reaction to it and also the weight gain out me off anyway so I asked for it to be stopped before I did gain weight, I do believe that mirtazapine increases your appetite.xxxx

Lol my boss has the opposite problem with weight, so I look about 10x the size of her at present... I dread to think what she thinks of all the bulge :/

At present I comfort eat on crap anyway, due to not having the energy or will to prepare other foods :/ and healthy stuff tends to require so much more work... urgh, rubbish. Feel sick, dead tired, need to get myself to bed without eating on the way... I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I wake up in the middle of the night and find myself sat on the kitchen floor nibbling on cat food or something... :-/

It's going to be a bit of a dilema if this helps my mood but I get fat :/

xx

I have been on it but can't really remember how it was (so completely pointless post then Myla, lol!). But yes I have heard of lots of people putting on a lot of weight, so anecdotally had I known this at the time of being prescribed it I would have refused. That said I don't weigh much so gaining a bit of weight wouldn't have been unhealthy for me. I wasn't on it long - maybe a couple of months so maybe not long enough to gain weight?

hi

I found it did pass with time, at first i was very hungry, been on them along time and would say i only gained half a stone. my tip is too take it at night you might be able to sleep off some of those munchies.

im now having the same side effect with the quietiapine x 20 i was sleep eating last night couldnt get chocolate in my mouth fast enough lol

I even dreamed of doughnuts lol hopefully this will pass,

No problems with it here. I had munchies initially, but just gained what I'd lost when very unwell etc. Have maintained a healthy weight.

Archived