Mental Health Forums

Cognitive Analytical Therapy... Anyone Had It?

Insideoutgirl

I am just starting this after seeing a new psych two weeks ago who suggested it.

First session is Friday.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience of it?

yeah i've had it.

a couple of years ago.34 sessions i think i had.

tbh i did'nt get much out of it.

but hey thats just me.

go for it & i hope you get something out of it.

kel

I've heard of it but not done it. When I googled it it sounded like it could be very helpful so give it your best shot. Good luck on Friday.

Thanks!

I didn't feel like we did much on Friday.. except chat... I think she was trying to suss me out.

We will see how it goes next time.. hopefully get a bit further... I have a questionnaire to fill in before then.

I'll let you know how I get on next time!

I was hoping someone could tell me what to expect !

xx

yeah i've had it.

a couple of years ago.34 sessions i think i had.

tbh i did'nt get much out of it.

but hey thats just me.

go for it & i hope you get something out of it.

kel

34 sessions is a lot to end up not feeling you got much out of it.. I hope I find it helpful.. What did it involve? I know you have to do some letter of some sort but don't know much else!

x

I've heard of it but not done it. When I googled it it sounded like it could be very helpful so give it your best shot. Good luck on Friday.

Was very nervous on Friday so felt robotic when I was talking to Psych, I often get that when I talk about myself... as if I am talking about someone else..a friend maybe. But because of that I don't feel part of it and worry this will prevent it from being useful =/

x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Insideoutgirl

I have been in CAT since march and I am still not sure what to think about it.

My therapist is wonderfully patient with me I have done 10 wk so far and still not recieved my letter lol, I think that somehow I she has kind of replaced CAT with 1-2-1 DBT as she has done a lot of DBT exercises with me and we have not really stuck to the proper CAT structure. The first stage we went through though has been to work on my coping strategies, as my T said it she didnt want to work on bringing up my past experiences without first teaching me a way to deal with the consequences of what that could do. The past 2 weeks have been about my past and how it has affected me and how i deal with it and believe me when i say it has taken its toll on me.

How are you finding CAT? I am curious as you said you started a few weeks ago and it would be good to know how different therapists work through the process.

hope you are well MB X

Hi Insideoutgirl

I have been in CAT since march and I am still not sure what to think about it.

My therapist is wonderfully patient with me I have done 10 wk so far and still not recieved my letter lol, I think that somehow I she has kind of replaced CAT with 1-2-1 DBT as she has done a lot of DBT exercises with me and we have not really stuck to the proper CAT structure. The first stage we went through though has been to work on my coping strategies, as my T said it she didnt want to work on bringing up my past experiences without first teaching me a way to deal with the consequences of what that could do. The past 2 weeks have been about my past and how it has affected me and how i deal with it and believe me when i say it has taken its toll on me.

How are you finding CAT? I am curious as you said you started a few weeks ago and it would be good to know how different therapists work through the process.

hope you are well MB X

Hi MB

I am really rubbish and have not been for two weeks as first the therapist rang to say she was ill, and then i forgot... eek.

So far though she seems really insightful and i feel like she is actually trying to understand .. unlike my last therapist who basicly couldnt be bothered me and shoved me onto a totally irrelavant team as she didnt really know what to do with me!

So far I have found CAT quite intense.

I too have not had my letter, but I have started doing work on past.. which is quite intense... I literally couldnt speak in one of the sessions.. words just came out as sounds as i was feeling so shaky.

In a way I kind of liek it though... I think I just like my therapist . Has been quite insightful... she says there are lots of patterns.. havent got anywhere else yet though.

Keep me up to date with yours!

Insideoutgirl xx

Archived