Mental Health Forums

How Do You Know If Antidepressants Are Working?

AmyP

my gp has tried several with me so far, have had my venlafaxine put to 150mg, an she seems to be getting a bit frustrated. ive been on citalopram, trazodone, sertraline and am now on venlafaxine.

how do you know if theyr working? i feel like maybe they are an im not recognising it, she always seems disbelieving and exasperated when i say i don't feel any different :mellow:

Wouldn't know myself! I've had fluoxetine, sertraline, trazodone and citalopram...

and I havent noticed a thing! Sometimes they numb me out for a bit but thats about it

Things you can notice;

Anxiety less often and not as severe

Depression less deep and depressed moods passing quicker

Less suicidal thoughts

Less self hate

Feeling a lil more sociable

thanks lily. i guess the problem is i probably wouldnt notice unless i stopped taking them and had something to compare against

adding to lily's list

showing a little more interest in doing stuff is also a good indication that they are doing something like restarting hobbies or reading books and enjoying films

showing yourself a little more self care - washing, getting dressed rather than having to make yourself do just the basics

not wanting to stay in bed in the mornings

sleeping better

eating better

you could do that - BUT

if you do stop them, you are likely to get withdrawal symptoms which could be well shite and make you feel worse anyway and so you would never know if it was that the ADs were in fact working or if you just got withdrawal when you stopped them... so i personally don't think that would be a very scientific way of working it out tbh...

i'd keep a diary of whatever you think you should judge yourself on - be it moods, emotions, highs, lows, what you ate, how well you slept, or whatever you judge to be your best benchmark and then try keep this up for a couple weeks or so and see if the general trend is down, up, flat or all over the darned place... that imo would be a better way of seeing what is going on...

Think you've had good advice, just wanted to add that I think it's really unfair of your doctor to act so surprised. I mean, antidepressants are so hit and miss that it's really hard to find the right one a lot of the time.

For me it was really obvious when they started working. My mood changed a lot and I felt more or less ok (or at least that life was bearable). After a while, they stopped working for me though.

thanks for replying esme. yeh i must say i thought it was a bit strange as people have always said that you have to keep trying till you find the right one. sounds like there is a change you can feel, so at least i know what to look out for xx

Archived