Mental Health Forums

From Trazadone To Venlafaxine?

Icebaby

So, I know really I shouldn't google new meds. I am now even more anxious about the med change I'm making over the next few weeks.

I'm also though confused at the dosage I'm on at the moment of Trazadone.

Sorry, should start from the beginning.

I'm currently on 600mg of Trazadone, but all that has happened is that I've been seriously sleepy/dopey, put on weight and become depressed (which is now an added dx to my BPD and OCD).

My pdoc has said with side effects it appears it's completely the wrong thing to be on and is changing me over onto Venlafaxine.

I'm weaning off of one and onto the other in the next few weeks and I know it probably wont be a pretty sight.

I was really optimistic that the change may make a difference to how I am at the moment as I'm really not coping with life, but I did the silly thing of googling the meds.

Now I'm more anxious than I was before.

I guess I'm wanting to know if anyone else is on Venlafaxine and has had a positive experience as all I'm reading is negative.

Also I'm intrigued as all of the doses for Trazadone at these review websites are for like 37.5mg-100mg. Has anyone else been on it at a high dose like 600mg?

Highest I've been on is 300mg, I think more than that and the zonking out would be ridiculous! They tend to only prescribe >300mg for people who are in hospital. xx

They're kind of opposite meds - one quite activating and one quite sedating. I went the other way, from venlafaxine to mirtazapine, as I needed a sedating medication.

venlafaxine is known for the side effects, but i havent really had too many. im on 150 mg, an if i forget a dose it does hit you a bit, but apart from that its been fine. not sure if its helping or not, but not too negative xx

I am on trazodone and I thought that a 600mg dose could be used if you were hospitalised and 400mg is the highest dose that you can be on when at home - there really is no wonder that you got all those side effects.

I hope the cross over to venlafaxine goes well for you.

:o That is a high dose of Trazodone I am not surprised you have had such adverse effects from it. I am on 100mg Trazodone and I always feel quite drowsy in a morning.

I hope these new meds work better for you xx

Thank you for the responses.

I'm now worried about the dosage I'm on even more! But I'm coming off of it over the next few weeks. I started on 150mg and then 300, 450, 600mg, so am now doing the same in reverse over the next 4 weeks. I thought it was just normal until I was looking at my new meds and noticed how low they all looked in comparison to what I'm on.

Thank you Pandora, am really hoping the side effects are ones I can cope with as I'm really hopeful about this, well.. I was until I googled it.

been on 300mg venlafaxine for 2 years just gone down to 225. So they worked for me on the whole but are a b to come off

I have always hated the change from one to another so you have my sympathy x

Hi

I have been on 450mg of trazadone before for around a year, i then came off them because i couldn't stay awake with my baby daughter. I found trazadone the best med i have ever been on. I didn't like venlafaxine, it sent me loopy high so i stopped it xx

Archived