Mental Health Forums

Work Name Badge Panic

JasmineRose

Because lots of us have been promoted at work, we had to get new name badges.

Bear in mind, the promotion was mid January, and now it's May...

We had to go to get photos done at head office, in February-ish.

I couldn't go at the very short period of time they were doing the photos, due to my therapy, so they said just take one, size it, and send it to them. So I did, as soon as possible.

I still don't have my new name badge.

I brought it up with my manager, and he said he'd look into it.

Then I since discover that a colleague has his already. But I don't have mine.

And I also see that his has surname on as well as first name. I am SO stressed about that. I am so paranoid about identity theft, or being accused of something or other, I have a hard time customers who may be difficult knowing my first name, never mind my surname.

And, it used to be protocol that public facing staff didn't have their surname on their name badges for privacy etc reasons. So what changed?

So here I am, wanting my new badge, and not wanting it.

I am still wearing my old, defunct role name badge. Which makes me feel 'less than'. But I don't want my new one because I feel my privacy invaded.

I feel so panicked and worried and powerless, at their mercy.

(((JasmineRose)))

Are you able to talk to your manager about why surnames are on badges; if there has been a change in policy I would have thought that you should have been consulted on that; and if there has been a change in policy, can you ask what the rationale is behind that and also express your concerns about having your surname on your badge.

I dont know what you do but i agree that having your full name on show to the public can make you feel vulnernable and be an invasion of your privacy

xx

Thanks Abster

Uh. I just want to totally avoid the topic now. Bleh. Too anxiety provoking, too anger provoking.

After tomorrow I'm not in work until Thursday... so I can maybe find out then. But yes, really we should have been told if there was a change in policy. But then, so much has been changed recently, things can slip through the net.

I work in the public sector, for my local council, public facing for about 80% of my hours, in an area which can be seen as 'difficult' at times.

It's also the fact that others have theirs and I don't. I know I had a hard time doing my photo, because of self image challenges. And I felt so self conscious even of the one I sent. "Have they not done mine because I'm too ugly?"

Archived