Mental Health Forums

Ot And Social Worker Not Understanding My Needs

lonelyheartemma

I'm sorry to write about them again. they really make me feel so frustrated. The things they are suggesting arent really helpful and they can't help with what i need.

My OT has emailed with a list of things she thinks i should do.

sessions with social worker focussing on setting short term goals including practical tasks to enable you to be equipped with the skills necessary to be able to move.

Short term goals? This is very vague and idk what she has in mind.

Practical tasks, ok maybe but this kind of goes against something she says later about learning the practical skills from my mum.

• Using the support on offer from social worker to access the community.
  • I really dont think i need this. If i want to go out or if i need to go out then i go out. I have no problems with that. I go out and i acheive what i set out to do.
  • There are things i struggle with like walking into a college class but my social worker is not prepared to support me with this. So i'll do it on my own.
  • I dont like going out for the sake of going out, theres always something i want to do at home.
  • I dont like going out with someone whos going to be asessing what i do.
  • She wouldnt know as she doesnt live round here but my little suburb doesnt have much local community. If i go into the city centre theres stuff to do but thats outside the area where shes allowed to take me. I dont need her to go with me anyway, i've been there by myself loads of times.
  • Psychological work looking at dealing with change, assertiveness skills and confidence building
  • I agree i need this but last time i tried to get it it didnt happen. Its really frustrating i have to fill in the same really long form over and over again (i'm going to photocopy it this time in case i have to do it again) but basicaly instead of waiting 3-4 months for this its going to be over a year. and thats only if i get refered to the right place. if i get refered to the wrong place i either have to accept it anyway and miss out on a psychologist or discharge myself and wait 4 months again.
  • A meeting facilitated by me between you and your mother to discuss how you could develop more roles within the home
  • I dont want to be rude but why does my OT have to be there? Can't i ask my mum myself? if my OT wants to help me by providing a list of what i should be doing and in what order thats fine. if i try to talk to my mum and she wont agree to anything then i'll go back to the OT. But why cant i try?
  • I would also like to suggest that I have a discussion with your GP
  • great brilliant amazing, so i finally get my mum to agree to let me go to appts on my own but now my OT has got to come with me?
  • what I need is someone who listens and responds when i talk about how i feel. But i dont get that, i either get no response or disbslief, i might as well have said nothing. I am suicidal, i am self harming, i am possibly getting abused by my mum but no one is hearing me.
  • wandering round the shops with my social worker isnt going to make me less lonely, its going to make me more lonely. when i'm alone i can imagine i'm with friends and have a great time. when i'm with her its like shes only there because shes paid to go out with me and thats really humiliating.
  • tbh I think i was managing better before i got the cmht involved.
  • the advocacy got in touch again. it says on my notes they can't phone me but he phoned me and then my mum wanted to know who he was. I've been on there 6 week waiting list for 3 months. and if hes not my advocate, who was that other guy who spoke to my social worker without my permission?
  • I think i might just give up on the lot of them and do it myself. But its like i've come this far, i've gone through so much trouble, shouldnt i at least try to see it through?

(((((((hugs))))))

sorry I can't read it all as I'm too tired. got to go to bed now - slept 4 hours this afternoon but still knackered...

i hope that others can read it and will post more constructvely

thank you greenthing

it is horrible to read, i wish i'd noticed when i was still able to edit it

I thought about pasting it into a reply but people probably wont read that far down.

thought about sending a ticket but it didnt seem like a big enough issue

sorry i forgot i was trying not to make long posts :(

I can understand your frustration. Maybe you should try their suggestions though? You may not think they're useful, but in the end they could be.

Walking round the shops with your social worker, for example. I can see how that would feel humiliating, I thought the same when my GP suggested a befriender. But looking back, I can see that it might have helped me develop social skills that I don't have now. Because I was isolated and without friendship for so long, my social skills got worse and worse, and now I can't even talk to people without being odd.

Maybe also having some support when you talk to your mother/GP would be good?

I'm not trying to say your feelings aren't valid, because they totally are, and the support probably isn't right for you. But the support the government provides is really not great, that's the problem. Really, to an extent, we have to take what we're offered, even if it's not perfect. I know that sucks, but it's better than nothing.

Your feelings are valid Emma. Fwiw you don't have to agree to everything and even if you agree in principle to something you don't have to agree with the how. My brief (rather honest) thoughts...

"support from sw to access the community" - this sounds like you need this like a chocolate tea pot. Personally you could be frank with her and say thank you very much for the offer but you don't feel this is beneficial or necessary. Tell her what you've explained above. If she's insistant agree to "give it a go", then give it a go and then tell her again what you've explained above :).

"psychological work" - please try again to access this. I agree it's frustrating (and unprofessional of them) to make you complete the forms again but I believe it is this work that will have the greatest benefit to you.

"facilitated meeting with mother" - explain you'd like to try it your way first (set realistic timescale) and if no joy then you'll request her assistance. However, I was under the impression that you find it difficult to confront your mum about things? Maybe she's aware of that too and actually proposed a facilitated meeting because she thought it would be of benefit to you.

"suggest discussion with gp" - note underlined. Also, did she specifically say she wanted to accompany you? I have had a very positive experience of a hcp having a discussion with my gp (without me present) so maybe I'm biased!!

Please don't give up on them - at least give it a try. xx

i am sure your advicate is braking rules here because he isnt talking to people with your permition. Perhaps put n a complaint about the way your being treeted both by c m h t n your social worker

dear Emma. I took Counselling and Psychotherapy course level 4 (distance learning) in September and really enjoyed it. My tutor is Joshua Cole,who is running this site. I don't think photography course is useful today, but counselling course is very helpful, there are so many people with mental problems now and they need help. I also enjoyed your detailed descritopn of how you spent some time without your parents. I always enjoy your writing and will miss you alot.

Archived