Mental Health Forums

Voluntery Work

Jess1090

I was at a stay and play session with my daughter that I attend local to me have done for over a year now and they asked me if I would like to voulunter there! They said I was the type of person that gets on with the other parents. Sometimes there are younger girls there and I feel for them so I do try and include peole. They gave me forms to fill out. I don't know what to do I am flattered but scared aswell. Ideas?

That's really great!! Well done you :)

Is this something you would like to do? Would you find enjoyment in it?

If the only reason you are a bit wary about it is because you're scared then I think you should definitely do it - you need to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while.

Plus once you've been a few times doing the voluntary work you will settle into the role and feel better and more confident about it.

It's really exciting and you might meet new people :)

I'm really happy for you. Well done!!

I feel so flattered because some of the parents aren't great with their own kids always moaning etc and it is nice to know that the people that run this centre think I'm a good mum and easy person. I can be quite agressive in the past but not ever with my children. I've known for ages that the centre manager adores my daughter she always comes out to speak to her. I've asked for advice before about food and if behaviour is ok or what I can do differently. I am not sure. I am happy though, I think!

Sorry not answered you, yes I would enjoy it I like being around children particuarly pre school. I love kids so honest it helps my depression. There is nothing more beautiful than to watch them play and sing. I love singing too so I've always done a bigger role as we do songs at this session.

well done! that's a great compliment, well deserved for your efforts this last year.

they know you already which is a real big help.

you might find it helpful to chat through with the person who invited you to make sure that you are clear what to do on bad days and they are clear what to expect on those days (assuming that you are likely to have days bad enough so you can't go).

some people are worried that sharing anything about their mh problems will lead to prejudice, and I'm sure that there are some people here who have found that potential employers (or whatever the correct term is if you are a volunteer) are put off by honesty, but my experience has been the reverse

I have had brilliant support from my boss and from senior management and I have been (almost completely) honest, sharing everything (depression, anxiety, ptsd, dissociative episodes) except borderline pd (a recent diagnosis and one i am wary of sharing as it really does not get a good press - if people came to this website they would understand that people with bpd can be loving and caring and supportive...)

it would be good if others commented whether they think this is a good idea or not...

(((((hugs))))) good luck

I've said about mental illness and sometimes not often though I don' get to this session.They know I take meds and they know I have had post natal depression. I feel surprised they see me in a way to beable to help. I suppose and I don't say this for pity but I am surprised they think that much of me.

Archived