Mental Health Forums

Hello..

Sarah22

Hi, youre pretty much right, although when my daughter was home she was very good when i was ill.. I tend to be like my mother. She always carried on as if nothing was wrong, but she was being beaten , just like I was. She just muddled through. She was very quiet - I suppose the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....I couldn't afford to go away, but I know what you mean. I've got very low self-esteem because of how my father treated me - he always called me "It" and it made me feel totally worthless. It took away all my self-worth... I've always been very quiet and withdrawn.. When i married I was just recovering from anorexia. I was 19

I think you have to ask yourself a question; 'Do I really want this to be my life?' and if you don't you have to do something. It's an old cliché but the longest journey begins with a single step and it's a step you have to try to take if you want to improve your life. If you've never seen a doctor, how do you know it's anything to be scared of? Your father bullied you and frightened you and a truly loving parent never wants to see their child hurt in any way. I'm scared of heights because I've experienced it, I'm scared of water because I had an accident at a swimming pool when I was a kid, but if I've never had a scary experience I have to say to myself 'why should I be afraid of something I've no experience of?' and at least try it.

If you keep saying 'I can't' you'll end up doing nothing, and doing something constructive must be better than how you're feeling at the moment. Good Luck and I hope you can find the courage to take that step.

Hi Woody, whatever I do its going to take me a while to do it. I cant rush this - its taken me long enough to even contact this forum..... that was an enormous step for me

hugs to both of u as i n the same boat...

Sorry to hear you're feeling down too Maddy...I love your signature! xxx

Hi sarah and welcome to the site. I hope you find the support and advice you need on here. :)

Thanks JBR ,

I'd like to add my welcome too (((Sarah22))). These are great forums. I wish I could write as succinctly as you do so beautifully, even though the content is very very painful. If I can go to the doctors with my family's and my upbringing around mental health then I know you can too. I am not so good at writing about my experiences with my early childhood and my parents, not even good about writing about it now, because it is still pretty horrendous, so I thank you for sharing your horrible life's experiences and what you were subjected to. I haven't yet had the courage, but I can promise that it is not too disimilar!!

Thankfully, as people have said, times and attitudes and terror of MH issues have changed and I am thankful for that. I am 52 by the way.x Welcome again and thanks for sharing.x

Archived