Mental Health Forums

Stressed And Lacking Confidence

seekingadvice

I am currently jobhunting at the moment but getting very stressed about it as I read job descriptions saying they want outstanding people who are enthusiastic, outgoing etc etc, and I just feel like I could never be that person. I have good qualifications and relevant experience but it doesnt change that fact that my heart sinks and I want to immediately stop looking at the job adverts as soon as I see stuff like we are looking for outstanding graduates with a real passion etc etc. Also I dread having to ask people to be my referee, I feel that i dont have the right to ask people to go out of their way to help me get a job. I know its normal for university tutors, previously employers etc to provide references but i just feel so awkward asking. I have spent about 2 weeks now looking for a summer job and havent had the confidence/courage to get references and apply for the jobs that i have seen - not that there are many at all in the current economic climate. I'm also going to have to start applying for a longer term job for sept 2012 - july 2013.

just wondering if other people have had similar experiences of lack of confidence

I lack confidence with every job I have ever applied for. You just have to go for it. I was redundant for 2 years, and had many rejections, which make me feel so bad, but I got there in the end and so will you. Might be the 1st job you apply for, or the 10th, but you'll do it. I also never asked people to do me a reference, but like you, I couldn't bring myself to ask them, so I just wrote there names down. My ex boss, and a ex colleague, the colleague didn't want to do it, so she passed it to someone else who did.

Good luck, I hope you get something soon. x

High seeking advice - I just wanted to tell you that probably a lot of others feel the same as you including me! To be honest, due to my mental health problems and possibly some cognitive impairment I am probably somewhat below average in regards to job functioning and I am in no way outstanding. Just remember that not everyone can be so called "outstanding". A lot of people (in fact half of the human race!) function below the so called median so try not to read into the job descriptions so much if it is possible. To be honest, I think a lot of employers want to get the best person possible and then pay him as little as possible - that is who wouldn't want a bargain whether it is buying something from the store or hiring someone to work for you? The really outstanding people are in the most part going to get the best jobs with the best pay but I am sure there are plenty of jobs left for people life you and me! - Detroitguy.

Archived