Mental Health Forums

What Is Radical Acceptance?

ILostHer

Just read a status about it and I think Toaster explained once, but my head does not retain information.

So in simple terms what is it? And why does it help?

I am curious and also think it could be helpful?

Thanks.

Radical acceptance means accepting completely how you feel,the situation youre in etc

This helps because very often we feel worse because were feeling bad about feeling bad or getting frustrated things that add to our misery,accepting doesnt mean you cant work on improving things for yourself but that in each moment you accept that moment as it is. That includes accepting yourself and others.

This is only a part of DBT other skills are needed as well like tolerance distress skills to make this work.

From what i could grasp, it's about learning to accept that something has happened/ is happening so you can move on from it and deal with it. Doesn't mean it's a good thing, it's not about judging the situation, it's about taking it for what it is.

An example they gave us was that the leader was moving house and had a lot to think about and was worrying a lot about it. She was wondering why she had done it and if it was going to be worth it and why was she putting herself through this stress. Then she decided to use radical acceptance and just accept that it was the way it is and it was going to happen. Once she had done that she could focus on doing what she needed to do without wondering why etc. Another example of a smaller thing is if your waiting at the bus stop and it's too full for you to get on. You can get pissed off and think 'why me', think about what would have happened if you had been on-time and be annoyed for ages about it, or accept that it happened, not judging it good or bad, and not fester over it for ages.

I think it's about letting go of the thoughts around an event, like the 'why' and 'what if', and accepting that it has happened/ is going to happen so that you can move on from it.

That's what i thought anyway haha

I think it sounds like a good thing to do,but for me,one of my biggest issues that prevents me from moving on & healing is bearing a grudge. I still remember things others did/said to me that hurt me deeply way back to my childhood. And i still bear bad feelings towards every single 1 of them. I don't forget . Wrongs done are held inside. I know it's an unhealthy behaviour. I hurt myself by holding onto them.x

Hi there,

There,s a post about radical acceptance in this blog. It's written about how a therapist would apply the concept with a client in therapy. Post is called "Radical Acceptance"

http://pennydulumonlife.blogspot.co.uk

For me, it's accepting even the darkest parts of myself with understanding and without judgement - at the same time as having clear boundaries.

I am not in DBT, though.

Archived