Mental Health Forums

Crisis Resolution Using The "distract" Technique (Self Developed)

Ollieclews

Hello everyone, as part of my recovery I have been working on ways to aid my recovery. I have developed my own way of dealing with a crisis. I call it the DISTRACT Technique and I have found when I'm in crisis it works for me and I want to share it with everyone in hope that it can help others!

Distract – Try your best to distract yourself from any negative thoughts/feelings.

Inform – Inform someone of your crisis and ask for support (CPN, Social Worker, Key Worker, GP, Samaritans)

Stay Safe – Now you have distracted and informed its important that you stay safe, try and be around someone maybe?

Think – Try and think about all of the positive things in your life and focus on them

Relax – Take deep breaths, have a nice hot bath, meditate. Do whatever relaxes you the most.

Action Plan – What are you going to do after your crisis? How can you avoid another one? What are you looking forward to?

Continue – Try your best to continue with your daily routine, go to the shops and try to continue as normal

Treat Yourself – You’ve had a rough time, now your out of your crisis do something nice and treat yourself.

I would love to hear any feedback people have about it! And also I just want to let you all know that I have created this from scratch and its not based from anything already out there (That I know of!) Also It would be great if people wanna use/share this too!

Thanks,

Ollie

xxx

Oooh I like this Ollie :). Thanks for sharing. I do most of these activities (though am crap at treating self!) but it's great to have a way to remember them. Glad it works for you xx

It is my experience that distraction never helps you be with difficult feelings and learn to manage them safely. It's a short term quick fix that doesn't fix anything.

Thanks for your feedback guys! :D

And I understand where your coming from Jasmine but different things work for different people and its important to remember that during a crisis its important to find a "quick fix" often or peoples safety.

:)

Cool. Or if you blog it I can re-blog :D Whatever suits you best.

I will not do it straight away, as I try to space out my blog posts, but gonna mark this for the right time. thanks Ollie xxx

It is my experience that distraction never helps you be with difficult feelings and learn to manage them safely. It's a short term quick fix that doesn't fix anything.

I have panic attacks and I have had to find a way to cope with them because if I'm alone with my children then I have to breathe and calm down so I think what Ollie has done is real fine for the crisis that catch you quickly. If I can't sleep sometimes I can go in to a crisis and again I think it is a short term thing to deal with that time only. Well done Ollie I think you've done a great job putting this together.

Archived