Mental Health Forums

Venlafaxine And Alcohol

AmyP

does anyone else on venlafaxine find they get affected by alcohol a hell of a lot more? im on 150mg and i find i get drunk a lot quicker, was wondering if it could be the meds or if its in my imagination

I am on venlafaxine, upped last week from 150 mg to 225 mg. I haven't noticed that alcohol affects me more in the time i've been on it, about 4 years. It probably affects everyone differently though.

I find I get drunk quicker on any anti-depressants. So basically I just don't drink if I'm on them. I try not to drink much anyway.

Have been on Effexor before. Really did not seem to work for me but with AD's when you drink alcohol the effectiveness of the AD is reduced. Is what my Doc told me anyway. Did I listen to him, hell no. I hated taking Effexor, caused me problems with my sex life or non exixtant while on it. Doc changed my med to Benzo and in about a week was back to normal. Now on a new benzo lol.

Anyway, do not listen to me am buzzing on Xanax.

Not had a drink while taking that if things keep going as are do not think will need to.

((hugs))

i wouldnt advise drinking on top of that particular anti depressant as it can make you lose your ballence really easally. Thats what i found when i was on it

Yes I get affected a lot more but think I'm naturally alcohol sensitive anyway as even before taking venlafaxine (or any other AD for that matter) I'd feel the most miserable the following days after. Before I gave up drinking alcohol whilst on ADs I'd had a couple of out-of-control SHing incidents and also had intensified suicidal feelings. Different people are affected differently though it was the after effects rather than the speed of drinking /amount consumed to get drunk that caused me the most problem.

Yeah - it made a night out very cheap for me. One glass of wine and I was sozzled. Didn't really drink when I was on venlafaxine for that reason. x

Archived