Mental Health Forums

Now I'm Really In Trouble With My Flatmate

JasmineRose

Maybe she will be ok with me.

But.

I just used the toilet flush, and it broke/had broken.

It wouldn't stop gushing water into the loo.

I managed to fix it to stop the water coming down.

And I've texted my flatmate. She might be able to sort it, as she's more 'handy' than me.

I've put a bucket of water in the bathroom to use to flush until it's fixed/sorted.

No doubt she'll try to blame me, because I use the loo and flush a lot, due to my IBS.

If we need to pay to have it fixed, I'll pay it.

Just, I don't need this right now.

i broke my flush last week... the handle thing snapped... i managed to fix that bit myself and i am rubbish at that stuff...

if the water isnt stopping it looks like your ballcock valve thingie isnt shutting off the water intake properly. which i think isnt too much hassle to fix but i'm no expert... is the ball stuck on something and staying under the level of the water rather than rising with it...?

as for it being your fault, stuff wears out and breaks, nothing lasts for ever, i think you were just the unlucky one to have it happen when you used it, it could have been anyone in the household or even a visitor... so if she does blame you, imo she will be being very harsh and a right cow for doing so... but then she does come across as being just that in your other posts...

have you had any more thoughts on moving out at all... yuo do seem to be going through it with her at the moment...

:hug2: xx

(((((((hugs)))))))

just don't you blame yourself sweetie - it isn't your fault. well done for stopping the flow.

if the handle has gone limp it may be the link between the handle and the flush mechanism. you may be able to fix it with a loop of wire or string...

Thanks Villan, your reply means a lot to me.

I have no real clue about the inner workings of toilet flushes. I lifted the ball thing up, and that stopped continuous water entry.

I totally get about how it could have happened when anyone flushed it. But because I use the flush *more* than the norm. That probably accounted for wear and tear which led it to break.

And maybe I'm just paranoid, but part of me is wondering if she fixed it to do that on purpose to make me look/feel bad.

gt, thanks for your reply also. :)

Thing is, there's no handle, it's a push thingy, one half for big flush, one half for regular. But the push thingy looks like it's broken as well. Agh.

ooo... i only know how the handle ones work sorry :(

i understand the paranoia, it seems to be one thing after another with her at the moment... did she reply to your text yet ?

wish i could be there to help, had to fix one of those in my last flat. maybe look it up online? hope it gets sorted x

Our toilet was broken twice last week. I flush toilet every 5 minutes, I have things wrong with my bladder and stomach. Nobody ever dares to blame me, however. Is there a law of the country, if you have problems with your tummy, you have to pay the plumber?

Is there a law of the country, if you have problems with your tummy, you have to pay the plumber?

Hope not else we would all be up shit creek! LOL

Stuff breaks. It's not your fault even if you do use it more than usual. I use the sink a pretty normal amount and mine gets clogged up a lot and my partner has to unblock it. It happens.

I hope she's ok with it. I can understand your anxiety, she sounds like a real meanie.

Thanks everyone.

I got home. Bucket and such put back. I thought 'wow, great, she's fixed it'.

Went to the loo, flushed the loo, same thing happening.

The water runs continuously through the tank and straight into the loo. It's not right, it just doesn't stop!

She'll be home in about an hour. I'm a bit scared.

If she'd left me a note or sent me a text or something I might not have flushed the thing. But. Arggghh.

She got in.

I told her.

She said she'd tested it lots of times after she'd sorted it, and it was fine.

What the heck am I doing wrong? I'm just pressing it normally.

I feel bemused, angry and sad.

I have this problem the water keeps coming or the flush gets stuck my husband looks at it and it works. It is a conspiracy!

I don't know it started the day we moved here. The cloakroom toilet I actually avoid as I can't flush it yet everyone else can. When I complain my husband shows me how to flush the toilet! :confused: It is insulting beyond words and upstairs the water doesn't stop I worry it will flood, my husband or even the kids blink and it stops filling with water. I'll end up using a bucket I think!

Buckets are the way to go!

My flatmate put ours away though. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now when I go to the loo, as the flush is still bust - when I use it. She's not looked at it again yet, but arrghh.

gosh i relate to all this.

i hate toilets. i hate the way they smell.

I hate the fact that I'm the only person in this house who ever cleans it.

but most of all I hate the ancient, useless, unreliable, stupid mechanisms. at least once a year ours starts overflowing, and then miraculously, water ends up everywhere, the paint falls of the wall, the cistern cracks when I'm trying to fix it etc. etc. etc. I refuse to pay a plumber as I am avery experienced diy plumber, but really!!!

i too have ibs. Even so I have to take gallons of senna as I'm on a ton of codeine try and keep the pain in my arm within manageable proportions. This evening both meds are failing. My arm hurts and my backside too. dissociation here we come...

She handed me a list of 2 plumbers, asked me to phone to get one to come. And said she's not free herself until half term. Like I have much more spare time. I pointed this out and we kind of had a row. It doesn't help that I get phone anxiety. I want to die. I want to run away from this.

Thanks, but I'm not. I'm a horrible person. She is manipulative, but so am I. I fail at life. She says it's not all about me. She knows what hurts me. I hate her and she hates me. I want her to like me, and to like her, but she couldn't care one iota about me as a person. I suck at communicating, literally. But there's no way out of this wthout inciting her further wrath. I'm trapped.

This morning she apologised. I appreciate that, but I'm still angry with her. And I'm still so scared of phoning the plumber/s.

In the end I texted one, and he phoned back almost straight away. We fixed a time for the middle of next week. Hooray.

Archived