Mental Health Forums

Current Meds Not Working...suggestions

Anabas

Hi all,

So after a short while of feeling stable I have been slipping over these last few weeks and have returned to old habits of SH'ing and OD'ing. This time I want to tackle the problem before it gets out of hand. I am determined to stay out of the psych hospital but am apprehensive as my thoughts are becoming increasingly dark and I'm struggling to keep safe.

Whilst I know medication isn't the entire answer for everyone, it is a vital part of the solution for me personally. I've had medications that for a while have turned my life around and given me the breathing space I needed.

However, I am now at the point where I don't feel my meds are supporting me. I am currently on 45mg Mirtazapine and 300mg Quetiapine. I wondered if anyone else has been on these meds and perhaps been changed to something else and if so changed to what and the success or failure?

I know its a long shot but I have an appointment with my consultant on Thursday and wanted to go in there with a rough idea of my options and what I want from her really.

Thanks for reading.

xx

i've never been on those... i take 60mg citalopram as an antidepressant and have not actually attempted suicide since on it. i also take amytriplteline, pregabelin and codeine as painkillers for my wrecked arm and since they put me on those i have had no sleep problems which were messing up my mood management

not really much help i know...

Thanks greenthing :)

I've been on citalopram before and somehow it didn't work for me. Different things for different people I guess. I forgot to mention that my meds are strictly monitored and given in 7 day supplies because of risk of overdosing. So it has to be one of the newer anti depressants that aren't too dangerous in an OD (the doctors view point anyway).

I hope you're well.

EDIT: ps your reply was helpful :D

xx

ah, yes my daughter was on sertralin for anxiety+depression and it gave her hallucinations, delusions, self-harm, voices telling her to kill herself, the works really. it all stopped when she transferred to rodomel which seems to suit her

what about a mood stabaliser to augment what you are taking??

might keep you stable and deal a bit with the impulses, though I assume the quetiapine is about that, anyway not a medic so best to talk to him/her x

I didnt like mitrazepam as was too sadating, think I took it with another ad probably venlafaxine trail and error very tiring x

Thanks Christine, I don't really see how they can help me. I'm losing all hope to be honest.

xx

It's such a wind-up trying to find the right meds. Over the years,i've been on dozens. I suppose it's also finding out which "symptom" is the most troublesome. I am on 120mg duloxetine a day and it has definitely stabilized my moods and when my dose was put up to its current level,i had 2 or 3 days of feeling euphoric. It was wonderful. I hope you are okay pal. I'm worrying about you. xxx

Hey Eagle,

Don't worry about me hun, I'll be fine :)

Where I'm at mentally atm is familiar ground for me which offers both comfort and angst.

I just don't know what to do with my meds. If I stick with them I wonder will they start to work again or if I change them that means weeks of uncertainty with regards to whether they suit me, riding out the side effects and possibly being sent over the edge.

I honestly do not know what to do for the best. Yes, I know what is best for me as in I know I need meds but I need my consultant to guide me but she won't. Changes only happen if I push for them or if I get hospitalised and the nurse practitioner who I deal with in there makes changes and makes the decisions FOR me. Sounds like a cop out I know but I don't know what pills do what so I just wish they would advise me on whats available and go from there.

Sorry for the rambling, I don't think I made any sense there really.

xx

No,i totally understand what you're saying. Please don't leave the situation as it is and wait til you are in total crisis. I really don't want to see you end up in hospital. Sometimes you really have to push to get the help. I know that i am seen as a bloody nuisance at my health centre,but i don't give a shit. They are paid (huge amounts) to provide decent care for me. They are PUBLIC SERVANTS so just make them do their fucking job. End of rant!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You're right hun. I just find it hard to push when I don't know exactly what I'm pushing for :blush02:

I'm going to have a good chat with my CPN tomorrow and she is coming to my meeting with the consultant on Thursday as I find her unapproachable and to be honest always do my up most to say as little as possible and get out of there. Lol. Silly, I know.

xx

Its not silly at all. But i do think it is shit that professional types can make us decent people feel intimidated.They can treat us like we're brainless idiots and that really winds me up. My psych always makes me feel like a total nutter. I come out of appts with her feeling like a schoolkid who's just been given a talking-to by the headmistress.Very very annoying. xxx

just a fort is your quetiapine xl or not xl? as quetiapine xl (slow release) stopped working but now on just quetiapine n works faster xx

Hi emma,

I'm on the xl - slow release. What time of the day do you take your's? I currently take mine at bedtime.

xx

Ok, so the meeting went ok. Consultant has ageed to change me over to venlaflaxine...however I am worried about this. We went through how things will more than likely be very unsteady for me as I have to cut down my Mirtazapine then go onto the Venlaflaxine.

I'm stuggling now but am I really struggling THAT much to risk things going horribly wrong? I know only I can I truly answer that but I just don't know :(

xx

Archived