Mental Health Forums

Visualization To Reduce Stress And Anxiety

detroitguy

One of the methods I use to help relax me when I am feeling stressed and anxious is visualization techniques. Using visualization of peaceful places that we imagine we are in is often used in therapy. One of my favorites involves my interest in other planets and worlds. Often when I was young and in distress I would imagine on was on a spaceship headed for the stars to explore new worlds. This would in effect help temporarily distance me from my real problems and give me a bit of peace of mind. I really enjoyed the movie Avatar and when stressed sometimes imagine I am on that beautiful exotic moon Pandora. I also imagine that while I am there that “healing rays” are emanating from the surroundings or sun above which go into my head and start healing the neural connections that are causing my mental health problems. I wonder if anyone else would want to share any visualization they use to help reduce anxiety when under stress? - Detroitguy.

I often imagine myself on other planets too. I imagine other people and events and even wrote two biggish novels founded on my visions- unfortunately they are absolutely unreadable, because I have no talent. Helps me to relax though!

We have a memeber here called 'Pandora'- I didn't know that she has a beautiful exortic moon in her possession! Wow!

I think that could really help me. When I feel stressed, I tend to fantasise about a different life - one where I am popular, happy, successful - however it tends to leave me feeling depressed afterwards.

Visualising a nice and peaceful place sounds far healthier. I am going to try this.

My visualisations are always is a sunny glade with babbling water running through it. The sound of flowing water is very relaxing to me.

Archived