Mental Health Forums

On The Road To Recovery

Data

I spoke to my counsellor yesterday about the issues that were raised in the previous session. I thought that she questioned whether or not I have a mental health problem. I discussed this sort of stuff in a previous topic () but its been a few days so I thought I'd start a new one :).

I misinterpreted what she said. What she is actually saying is that I am on the road to recovery. She said that there is a spectrum from mental health on one side to mental illness on the other, and I am gradually moving from illness to health. She believes that I am becoming better at noticing my emotions and how I am feeling, and better at noticing things in other people. I previously viewed better relationships as my goal, but she says you can't tackle that head-on, the first strategy is to become better at noticing things, then the better relationships will follow. I did tell her that I clashed with a person last week and rather than feeling bad about it, I was able to brush it off and think that the conflict was because of his issues, it wasn't anything that I had done wrong. I used to get really upset about conflicts, and because I didn't that shows that the counselling is working, even if only a little bit.

She said that the problem with the mental illness label is that when I feel bad I tend to associate that bad feeling with mental illness, and to think that its ok because I will recover from that illness. However its getting to the stage when that label is getting in the way for me... if I feel bad I need to start thinking... I feel bad because we all feel bad sometimes, its part of life.

We discussed some strategies. If I am feeling that I can't cope I should put my hand across my chest, and concentrate on my breathing, it calms me. Also, she suggested I write a journal of positive things that have happened to me in the day.

I told her about the alcohol support group and she thinks thats a really good thing, although we don't know what the members will be like next time I go. I said that I am not sure where the sessions are going and that I am considering ending them... if they are not doing me any good any more then they are a waste of £38 a week. But its something we need to discuss on the next session - 14th June. Perhaps a new goal of the sessions could be to help me cut down my drinking. The problem is that I tend to use drink to mask unpleasant feelings that come to the surface at night. I am wondering if what I need to do at night is to worry less about what the meaning of life is. If you think about the meaning of life then sometimes you end up concluding it is meaningless. Life, for me, is about trying to feel as good as I can as much of the time as possible, and helping my family to do the same.

I am going on a non-holiday tomorrow. I'm taking my family to the Welsh coast to for a beach holiday, but the plan is for me to continue doing my work on the laptop in the day as I am not keen on beach holidays, I find my in-laws difficult and I am worried that I can't afford the time away from my PhD research. However, I'm confident that there will still be some nice relaxing opportunities for me on an evening and perhaps I might take the Friday off. I'm actually looking forward to it since I might be able to get the best of both worlds: I get some work done, I get to work in a new environment (which makes a change because I am sick of working in my bedroom), and I get some social time and to see a nice part of the country as well :).

Nice one Data

It's really great to read this :)

You are making so much progress, I hope you can come back to this post when you are feeling down

Enjoy your non-holiday, Wales is beautiful

xxx

((((Data)))) I hope your non-holiday (lol) in Wales will be uplifting.x You sound very positive here too.x I hope its going well and the weather is being kind for the beach.x If you ever want to pm me re a chat re drinking, I'd be only too happy.It is just that there are so many misconceptions out there about certain support groups. I tried so many groups and techniques CBT, counseling and the like to try and control my drinking and none of them worked!! Not to say it doesn't work for others, like problem drinkers, or heavy drinkers, but if it is alcoholism, then there is no choice. Once picked up, the drink always wins. Anyway, I won't bang on here,..........Hope you having lovelies...............

its really good that u have some stratogies to help u on your way to recovery... Glad to hear things are picking up for u

Well our non-holiday is nice so far but stressful, as communication can be challenging within the extended family.

I did plan to stay here in the day on my own and work and spend the evening with the family, and maybe go out for walks on an evening. That might be difficult because 1) There is nowhere really to walk to around here, and 2) I guess they will want to eat late (7pm ish) which kinda ruins the evening. Also, the heated swimming pool that i had planned to splash out in during the day is more like a paddling pool. Never mind, I'll just have to see how it goes. The accommodation is nice :).

Archived