Mental Health Forums

Self Acceptance

JasmineRose

I used to believe that people [online mainly] would respect me if I'd been to psychiatric hospital.

On the other hand, I also used to believe people [in society mainly] would respect me if I was perfect in all ways.

This, obviously, was a set up for failure.

I also, erroneously, believed that if only my official medical NHS diagnosis took full comprehensive account of my inner conflicts and struggles and the reason that they were there, then I would be made accepted, acceptable, and whole.

Now, I accept myself more as I am. That I have vulnerabilities, quite severe at times. But generally, because I have a lot of good quality support, and a great deal of insight, and am learning to be with myself more and more each day, I am never ill enough to be admitted on a psychiatric ward. I am gaining good boundaries, slowly but surely.

I accept that sometimes I switch into a very very young and needy state. I accept that some parts of me just haven't been able to safely grow up. So I also accept that at times I am as an equally needy but very socially awkward and insecure [and angry] teenager. I am bearing some love for these parts of me, at last, and letting them rule my life less, at the same time as understanding them and knowing they're always there, and at times more active than others. This is the way I am. I am building on a healthy me, but this is all of who I am. All the traumas in my life have led to this. I can't change that, or prevent it from happening. I can be myself, and that's the best I can be.

Archived