Mental Health Forums

Woop!

AmyP

i have a job interview :D

applied online a couple of days ago and a woman rang me back tonight saying she really liked my application and CV and arranged an interview for next tuesday :D

it's for a support worker job on a secure mental health unit. im panicking about what sort of background and health checks they will ask for, i've been told i need to bring my passport for CRB check and driving license, but not sure if they'll ask for gp no. for health check info?

also worried about uniform as the woman in the photo was wearing a sleeveless uniform, but i'll cross that bridge with them when i have to.

really excited an looking forward to it :) want to move on with my life

That's great news pandora. I am so pleased for you.

Taking things one step at a time re GP info and uniform sounds like a good healthy idea.

Yeah!! Yipppeeee for pandora. Xxxx

Woooooooooooooooow thats bril. Really pleased for you.

They may ask for you to see occupational health but your employer doesnt know the info you tell OH they only get told that your fit for work. OH can also help with if you need some support and if you feel comfortable with your employer knowing that certain things may help you they can see if they are possible. Hope it all goes well for you.

*is too busy happy-dancing to reply*

Yay hun, that's so great!!!! And I think you'd be amazing in a position such as this, i really do.

This is your chance to shine, sweetie!!!!

xxxxxx

thanks snoozy hun ^_^ your always to supportive lovely xxxxxx

really hope i get it. must say am really worried about my medical record and my arms tho :worried_anim:

If they ask for health information on the form, be honest but try and play it down a little if you can.

Good luck!

thank you all :) xxx

data should i tell them anything or just lie an say theres nothing? what they dont know cant hurt em right?

I'd be cautious about out-and-out lying and avoid doing so hun, tbh. The main reason for this is say a year down the line, you got the job, you settled in brilliantly, were excellent at it and well-loved there... but you were poorly. You needed some time off, how would you be able to explain that, without there being further lies involved?

Also, if you needed appts with MH team, you might have to take some time off to attend, and there's only so many times you could say dentist, doctor, optician.... Plus, there should be some support available for the staff when you're working in a position like that, and i'd imagine that they would be more understanding. Would perhaps speak to somewhere like MIND or Re-think and see what is suggested there, and also if you can, do you know the workplace's guidelines on disclosing info about illnesses? As don't want to go against that.

But, as Data has said, i don't see a problem with playing it down a little. Just wouldn't advise saying that everything is all hunky and/or dory, just in case there comes a time when it does affect you more. They would be more likely to make allowances if you had informed them about it from the start, in my experience.

Really don't mean to worry you, and truly hope i haven't sweetie, just don't wanna give wrong advice. Maybe have a look here? -

http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/your-organisation/support-workplace/telling-my-manager - there seems to be a fair bit of info there and from diff links from that page.

(((((((Pandy)))))))

xxxxx

Lovely news. Good luck with the interview hun.

I agree with Data and Snoozysuzy, its a hard one as you can't exactly lie but you don't want to tell all and jeopardise your chances. When I started a new job (a long time ago, as I've since lost the job through my own doing) I told them I was under going bereavement counselling. I know that sounds awful but I needed to have regular time off every week to see my CPN and I didn't want to tell them the real reason through fear of the stigma attached to MH :worried_anim:

I would say go to the interview and get a feel for the type of person your boss is and go with your instinct and again congrats on getting the interview :masked:

xx

Congratulations Pandora, thats great :)

Im def not an expert but the places i can think of with uniforms do seem to have a long sleeve and short sleeve option so hopefully you can wear long sleeves without standing out too much. or i have also seen nurses with cardis

I kind of agree, its better not to lie because you could end up telling more and more lies

it would be terrible (and maybe illegal?) for them to decide not to hire you for mh reasons. But some mh places are not nearly as sympathetic and supportive as you might expect and if the place you want to work with is like that it might be better to find that out as soon as possible, ideally before you start work there so you can make an informed decision about if the place is right for you (i'm not saying you wont be capable of it but you might have like moral reasons for not wanting to work for them. like I would never work for my CMHT unless i was in a position to make changes because i dont like how they treat people)

I really hope the job is everything you want it to be, i think youd do really well in a job like that

thank you all for the support :) xxxx

i think if it was any other job i would be more open to telling them. but as it's on a secure unit, i'm not sure if they would allow someone to work if they were still suffering with mh problems that needed help. i guess if it was a few years ago i would be ok, as it almost has a line drawn under it, but as it's all so recent and on going i feel a bit uncomfortable with it. i know they can't really discriminate, but think people do, and it might be more about protecting the people in the ward and protecting me if you see? like they can take out an exception to the rule? im not sure maybe im just worrying for nothing. i just really want the job an i dont want mh to get in the way.

thanks for the info about uniform emma hun, i think your right i've seen people with cardis on, hopefully they wont be too strict about it xxx

hi Pandora, congrats on the interview

I am sorry if this sounds like a downer.

I think that for your own welfare that you need to explain on the occ health form about your mh and sh.

I say this because of the type of work you will be dong and how recent the sh is. I am not saying that having mh support or self harming is a reason not to get the job, but I guess I am saying be truthful with yourself about this job and your own personal experiences.

On a secure unit there will be people who sh badly and regulary and are potentially violent and I just wonder if you would be triggered about the things they say and do, their own past history and what you might have to deal with. Maybe you have thought all this through, if not I would really find out at the interview more about it.

On the other hand someone who has them selves been through some terrible times is an asset in undertsanding and empathy and if you are open and honest with them and they see this too then it will be a very good place to work.

sorry if this is a downer but I just felt that as a friend I needed to say this, at the end of the day you will know after the interview if its right for you and I would wholeheartly advise you do go for it x

thank you christine hun. dont feel like your putting a downer on it, i really appreciate your honesty and advice. i think i'm going to tell them, an il decide when i get there and get a feel for the people how much. if i dont i know il just worry that they will find out, and if i have problems or need time for appointments i dont want the hassle of having to lie. i guess all i can do is hope for the best xx

Archived