Mental Health Forums

Gratitude Journal For Here?

alphaOmega

Hi, altho I'm new and am a bit afraid of stepping out "there", I'm wondering if anyone is interested in starting a gratitude journal here? It could be a huge on-going post, a sub-forum or part of the "Good day" thingy. My prayer is that one doesn't exist here already and I'm so dull as to have missed it, lol.

Just in case its new to anyone, every day, you pick at least 5 things in your day that made you grateful to be alive in it and jot it down. It could be your reaction- or lack thereof- to an ongoing situation, not having SIed, a color you love, a magazine you read, a dessert you tried to make at home, something funny, your child's smell, your husband's laughter... and then write it in the gratitude journal. I've had days so bad that I was grateful to be breathing :P and that I didn't maim someone~ but the good-day entries went on forever.

The post about "what have you accomplished this week" reminded me of how much I missed it. I used to do it every day for years and saw a huge difference in my focus, attitude and awareness, but had gotten out of it about 2 years ago. It was the longest time for me without an "episode". The depression and negative thinking came back with a vengence, so it seems I need something to focus me to the beauty of the here and now, no matter what that means and stop distorting/wasting my senses by not being in the moment.

The good part about having it here and open is that your lives are so inspiring and interesting that your entries will remind others of things in their lives they might not have thought about otherwise :) Imagine that, helping others by helping yourself, too cool.

The only bad part I can see is that sometimes I get stuck thinking I have to be "ok" with everything, the happy-happy perfect emotional liar, so others might have issues, too... but the positives outweigh those, maybe? There was even some study on something similar to this that showed gratitude journaling changed brain waves AND chemistry, so don't be surprised if some of your medication will have to be lowered. (For info on something similar, watch "What the bleep do we know" from your local video store. Its awesome.)

My first one would be that I'm grateful this place exists.

Thank you,

Linda

Thats a good idea. You can start it in Recovery if you want. I am sure loads of people will respond to it.

Good thinking!

Emmaxxxx

Hi! Thanks for your very sweet responses :) Verbena, how's your energy level? I hope you're doing well....

On the recovery subject, sorry it took so long to get back with you, so much piles up *to do* after a while and I had an appointment with a new psych yestersay. It went well and I liked him- he seemed familiar with histories like mine, unshocked or shaken by much of what we discussed and he seemed to be a VERY accepting person with a very acute perception of many issues.

Anyway, on to the Recovery area we go!

Hope all is *healthy* in your necko d' woods, Linda

Guess I'll stick it in the "good day" section? If you find a better spot, feel free to copy/paste or move it (just gimme a heads up so I don't get lost, lol)

Linda

Archived