Mental Health Forums

Accepting The Truth

Eagleheart

As part of my efforts to move forward & make changes,i have had to acknowledge certain truths that are hard to accept.However,to progress,it is necessary.

The first truth is that I cannot save anyone from their problems.I cannot heal the world.

Secondly (this is a hard one to accept,for me)- Not everyone who comes into contact with me will like me.I cannot be everyone's friend. Some people WILL just take an instant dislike to me.

If i can come to accept these truths,i know my life will become less stressful.I need to stop taking every small negative reaction to heart.It's the old all-or-nothing BPD behaviour that i have really badly. I go through life thinking EVERYONE must like me,appreciate me,value me. If they don't,it means i am utterly useless & worthless.

Sometimes,I can read a situation and get it COMPLETELY out of context. I can be outraged by a remark that was actually NOT an attack on me.It really galls me to admit that.But yes,I am frequently guilty of over-reacting.

These admissions don't come easy and it annoys me that i behave in this way.But i won't be able to move forward without acknowledging them.

So now I have confessed.I hope that in doing this,i can continue to evolve.

Archived