Mental Health Forums

Trigger - Depression, Cancer And Suicide

successful_workthru

Hello

If you are triggered by depression cancer or suicide, or have anxiety about getting cancer please don't read on.

Scientists discover all sorts of things from their research. Some reasrch is accepted as correct, and other reasearches have divided opinions, and yet other reasearch is not well known by the general pubic.

For all those who have read on: Being diagnosed with cancer is a devastating event, and I could see how easy it would be to fall into a depression after being diagnosed with cancer.

After browsing a slide show about 15 symptoms women most commonly ignore, on the webmd site. I found out that there is a link between pancreatic cancer and depression.

OK so there is a good possibility that depression could occur because of cancer diagnosis but this seemed to suggest that derpession increases the risk of pancreatic cancer.

I am thrilled about this because I gave up a long time ago, I've made a real mess of my life and dont want to live

I see no way out. I have never attempted suicide and am too scared to, but I've no one I can turn to in times of need, as I have no reliable friends and don't want to interact with my family as I just realised at 45, the extent and effects of abuse.

Not entirely sure what to say to this tbh. Loads of stuff I COULD say but it seems a bit pointless.

Please take care,

Toast x

Not sure if I have understood this, But are you saying you're more than likely going to get cancer because of having depression???

Not entirely sure what to say to this tbh. Loads of stuff I COULD say but it seems a bit pointless.

Please take care,

Toast x

Pointless?

I would welcome any comments on it, good or bad.

I would not want it to be a trigger for you though.

Not sure if I have understood this, But are you saying you're more than likely going to get cancer because of having depression???

No, I am so depressed that I was thrillled to read this info today, in the hope that my depression may bring on pancreatic cancer, because I want to die but I dont want to kill myself.

I know that sounds grim but that's how it is for me. Still, 8 hours of the day, I get an escape in sleep.

Sorry to sound so negative, I am just gripped by fear, sadness and anger at the moment.

I didnt mean to offend you :wacko:

I guess I was just thinking things like there is no guarantee you will get cancer, so will you be sitting around waiting to get cancer for it to be a waste of time?

I guess I was also thinking that if you did get cancer, I can't imagine it would be a very nice way to go. I can imagine what you are thinking - anyway would be a good way, but I guess we can't say that until we have experienced it.

I guess I am also a little worried about the content of this post - I know you have put a trigger warning on it but that still doesn't mean people are going to be expecting to see what you have written. I know I wasn't. I'm not triggered by it, I don't get triggered by stuff like this.

Just my thoughts.

This thread makes me uncomfortable. It too wasn't what I was expecting.

In my first breakdown, I actually was under the delusion that I had lymphoma and was utterly terrified.

:trigger:

There are quite a few studies linking mental illness and cancer, I've not heard specifically about pancreatic cancer. A family member of mine that had bipolar died of cancer which was in her stomach wall (same sort of area?). I think as mental illness leads a lot of us to have less healthy life styles, over weight, under weight, smoking, drinking, then we would be at a higher risk, due to circumstances to a greater extent, we can control if we really wished or were able to swing the balance of fate.

I'm sad to read that you embrace cancer to end your life. Hugs.

I guess I was just thinking things like there is no guarantee you will get cancer, so will you be sitting around waiting to get cancer for it to be a waste of time?

I guess I was also thinking that if you did get cancer, I can't imagine it would be a very nice way to go. I can imagine what you are thinking - anyway would be a good way, but I guess we can't say that until we have experienced it.

I guess I am also a little worried about the content of this post - I know you have put a trigger warning on it but that still doesn't mean people are going to be expecting to see what you have written. I know I wasn't. I'm not triggered by it, I don't get triggered by stuff like this.

Just my thoughts.

A trigger warning won't tell the content it merely states that the person writing is aware that this may trigger some people. The content is how someone feels and I don't think personally it is so far off the spectrum of feelings that it needs any special attention.

The thing is, it is the cancer that can cause depression and not the other way around.

I'm sorry you feel so bad, successful_workthru. I empathise and understand a lot of the things you say, you sound a bit like me sometimes, so I've added you as a friend on here if thats ok.

I guess my point was that if people come on here expecting to see a thread about someone having cancer and then a find a thread about wishing to have cancer, well that can upset some people, especially if they have been affected by cancer.

I know its about feelings and I am ok with the content. However...I could have taken a different stance. I could have been highly offended. What if someone wished to have BpD or a mental health illness?

I'm not having a go :) I guess I am seeing it how others MAY see it that's all xx

So sorry you are feeling this way but i totally understand what you're saying. I have wished cancer on myself too. Sometimes,all you have to keep you going are your "fantasies". x

Just my thoughts.

Hi Toaster

You didn't offend me :)

I see whyyou are worried about the content of this post, and that people may not expect to see what I have written.

I really dont wanna trigger anyone and would rather delete it than do that.

Please dont feel you offendended me.

This thread makes me uncomfortable. It too wasn't what I was expecting.

In my first breakdown, I actually was under the delusion that I had lymphoma and was utterly terrified.

I'm really sorry. I didn't meant to upset you.

Cancer is rare relatively speaking.

There are quite a few studies linking mental illness and cancer, I've not heard specifically about pancreatic cancer. A family member of mine that had bipolar died of cancer which was in her stomach wall (same sort of area?). I think as mental illness leads a lot of us to have less healthy life styles, over weight, under weight, smoking, drinking, then we would be at a higher risk, due to circumstances to a greater extent, we can control if we really wished or were able to swing the balance of fate.

Thank you for your kind post. x

The thing is, it is the cancer that can cause depression and not the other way around.

I'm sorry you feel so bad, successful_workthru. I empathise and understand a lot of the things you say, you sound a bit like me sometimes, so I've added you as a friend on here if thats ok.

It's great you added me as a friend Data, thank you.

These studies suggested depression as a cause of cancer, BUT, they are not fact, there are too many variables.

I guess my point was that if people come on here expecting to see a thread about someone having cancer and then a find a thread about wishing to have cancer, well that can upset some people, especially if they have been affected by cancer.

I know its about feelings and I am ok with the content. However...I could have taken a different stance. I could have been highly offended. What if someone wished to have BpD or a mental health illness?

I'm not having a go :) I guess I am seeing it how others MAY see it that's all xx

No, I agree with you.

Although I put trigger warnings on, people may still not expect to read what is written.

I wonder if there is a way I can make the first post so that it doesnt upset people, like change wording on trigger warning or someting, just looked, can't edit post.

So sorry you are feeling this way but i totally understand what you're saying. I have wished cancer on myself too. Sometimes,all you have to keep you going are your "fantasies". x

Eagleheart, my heart goes out to you.

Yes, 'fantasies', I wanna start feeling better, but becasuse the valium affects the nerves physicaly, I know I wil be stuck with this depression until healed and off the valium, but it's taking ages. I've been coming off it for nearly 3 years and I still have the worst bit to go, the lower doses, where it's more challenging.

You didn't upset me.

I sometimes think: is it possible that a mentall illnes may be triggered by an infection?

Sorry, I forgot to say my condolences.

The person that died did what many people choose to do when faced with terminal cancer and just gave up, she ensured the process was as quick as possible by not eating. I'd not heard of this before but the cancer nurses said many choose that path and they don't have to had mental illness to make that choice. Another person with a different out look may have lived for another 6-12 months.

Depression is closely linked to many illnesses and infections, whether that be depression or the fact that most people with depression won't eat as well or exercise as much as others, it is impossible to tell. I've known many people with depression that seem to have infection after infection although there is nothing overall ill with them physically.

Gum disease is interesting in so far as people with depression tend to neglect their oral health care, that can lead to gum disease and gum disease is linked to heart problems, cancer and diabetes.

The person that died did what many people choose to do when faced with terminal cancer and just gave up, she ensured the process was as quick as possible by not eating. I'd not heard of this before but the cancer nurses said many choose that path and they don't have to had mental illness to make that choice. Another person with a different out look may have lived for another 6-12 months.

Depression is closely linked to many illnesses and infections, whether that be depression or the fact that most people with depression won't eat as well or exercise as much as others, it is impossible to tell. I've known many people with depression that seem to have infection after infection although there is nothing overall ill with them physically.

Gum disease is interesting in so far as people with depression tend to neglect their oral health care, that can lead to gum disease and gum disease is linked to heart problems, cancer and diabetes.

Hi Jess

Thanks for your post.

i can see why so many people with metnal illness get physical illness, but studies have seemed to suggest that depression is a factor in pancreatic cancer. They measured the rates of depression in other cancer sufferers but the rates were nowhere as high as those with cancer of the pancreas.

There are of course many depressed and mentally ill people who live a long time, into their 80's and possibly 90's.

For all those who have been upset by this topic, please note that pancreatic cancer is very rare and having depression does NOT guarantee you pancreateic cancer or any other type of cancer.

I've felt for a long time that mental and physical illness are very close together, it is interesting about the pancreatic cancer link with depression.

I've felt for a long time that mental and physical illness are very close together, it is interesting about the pancreatic cancer link with depression.

It's freaky that I felt delighted when I found the pancreatic cancer and depression link, but, on the other hand, I dare say, that if anyone goes rooting, they will find studies on the web for allsorts. I'm just anxious that those with drepssion are not worried about getting pancreatic cancer as its rare.

I can understand some people will find this upsetting but sadly many people get illnesses mental or otherwise and that is a part of life. Hugs.

Archived