Mental Health Forums

Hope For Those Going Through The Esa Assessment

catsmother21

I filled in my ESA assessment form quite a long time ago now. I sent as much information as I could with it.

This morning I had a call from them saying that there is no requirement for me to be assessed by the Atos medical team and that I am being placed in the Support Group which means I won't have to do any work related activities or have to try to find work.

Result!

Totally surprised by it because I was expecting the worst but it couldn't have been easier. :)

Oo thas really good!

Can I ask were u changin from income support to esa? I sent my esa form off a while back an havent heard anythin but ive been worrying so ur post has give me hope!

hi mate

well done and glad that one less stress has now been resolved. lovely to see u back again too as u were greatly missed. take care

Oo thas really good!

Can I ask were u changin from income support to esa? I sent my esa form off a while back an havent heard anythin but ive been worrying so ur post has give me hope!

Yep Toast, I'm changing from Incapacity Benefit and Income Support to ESA. I can understand the worry as well because it has done my head in not knowing what is going to happen and I hope that you hear from them soon. xx

Great news Cats :) I finally got a letter through a couple of days ago saying the same, I've been so worried about it! Hope you're well xxx

Thanks so much Shadow and so pleased that you have had yours confirmed as well :D and yes I am very well thank you sweets :) xx

• 2 months later...

FUCK IT..... I didn't get that letter, just one asking me to go for a medical assessment on 24th... i'm crapping it and i know im gonna end up losing my rag coz i know they are not medically trained and dont give A-TOS.

What do i do????

xx

PS; pleased for u guys though.

I'm currently off sick from work don't think I'll be back so was hoping to claim esa? Is having bpd enough and do I need medically terminated from work?

FUCK IT..... I didn't get that letter, just one asking me to go for a medical assessment on 24th... i'm crapping it and i know im gonna end up losing my rag coz i know they are not medically trained and dont give A-TOS.

What do i do????

xx

I'm sorry that you are having to attend a medical Jinx. I don't know how much information you sent with the original form but take as much info, letters about your physical conditions that have now come to light and mental health conditions and also your psych risk assessment - you can ask your pdoc for this.

I hope it goes well for you and that they put you in the support group because it is obvious that you wouldn't be able to work with everything that you have going on.

Let me know how you get on sweets xxxx

I'm currently off sick from work don't think I'll be back so was hoping to claim esa? Is having bpd enough and do I need medically terminated from work?

Hi Bananas

I would go to your doc and discuss with them and tell them how the BPD is affecting you and your life and that you don't feel able to go back to work. I have BPD, a recurrent depressive disorder and neurological problems.

xxxx

What do i do????

xx

I'm sorry that you are having to attend a medical Jinx. I don't know how much information you sent with the original form but take as much info, letters about your physical conditions that have now come to light and mental health conditions and also your psych risk assessment - you can ask your pdoc for this.

I hope it goes well for you and that they put you in the support group because it is obvious that you wouldn't be able to work with everything that you have going on.

Let me know how you get on sweets xxxx

Ah ok, thanks cats, shall start my collecting of evidence. My neighbour/friend is gonna come with me, shes an ex mental health nurse and has seen me in some fucked up states LOL.

xx

That's the other thing that I was going to say Jinx but forgot and that is to take someone with you and it's great that she is an ex mental health nurse and has seen your illness first hand. Good luck sweets xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

OKAYS!!!! had my medical today, and it went surprisingly well (I hope, fingers crossed)... in all honestly I had planned to act urm, how do i say it, sorry if this isn't PC but i don't mean it in a derogatory way.. I was going to act mentally retarded rather than just being me suffering mental illness. BUT yesterday I wrote down every single thing i suffer from either permanently/occasionally or physically/mentally with all the consultants im under for each thing. My assessor was a nurse which did put me at ease, had she not been a qualified medical pro, think my back would've been up. I must admit I did dress down and dumb myself down a bit, i thought if i go in there looking perfectly co-ordinated and talking like I swallowed a dictionary for breakfast, they may think I could do telesales or something, other than that I was honest in my answers, based on the worse day ever rule.

She went through everything on my list asking how each thing affected me, when i last saw consultant etc... and some direct questions like "Have you ever had accidents with your IBS" "Do you do a lot of checking with your OCD"..... can i cook a meal, do my own washing, look after myself, have i been arrested, do i study, have i ever worked, do i have any pets, in what ways have i attempted suicide, why was i admitted to psych hosp, how many times, how long for, when was last time... yada yada yada.

At the end she said I shouldn't worry about it and it can take 4weeks but i should get a reply a lot sooner... I couldn't help but drop in the website that has all the people listed that have killed themselves after there assessment results, she was aware of it, but said i shouldnt believe everything i read on the Internet. Also she did say at one point "bless you, your only young and your going through all this"... thought that was a positive sign that she was taking all into account.

So now I eagerly await the results and shall see if honesty prevails.

And for some reason other people were in and out within 15minutes whereas I was in there for an hour and a half... and recorded the whole assessment on my phone ;-) just slipped my mind to tell anyone i was recording.

xx xx xx

Archived