Mental Health Forums

A Petition To Re-Name The Illness Depression

manja.

A petition to re-name the illness 'depression'.

Please read and please sign if you agree.

http://www.petitiononline.co.uk/petition/a-petition-to-re-name-the-illness-depression/4500

==============

By the illness 'depression' I am referring to 'clinical depression'.

The term ‘depression’ causes a lot of confusion.

It is often confused with simple low mood. When someone is having a bad day, they often say they are ‘depressed’. But depression is so, so much more than low mood or simply having a bad day.

So often people say they are feeling ‘depressed’ when they are just feeling a bit down. Even a friend of mine commented on her facebook this week that they went to see a movie that was quite poor and left feeling ‘depressed’.

Feeling ‘depressed’ doesn’t affect your sleep, your appetite, your concentration and your motivation. Feeling ‘depressed’ doesn’t make you struggle with simple things like showering and housework. Feeling ‘depressed’ doesn’t make you feel suicidal. Living with ‘depression’ does do all of this and more on top.

So when people hear of someone who is experiencing clinical depression it is of course difficult for them to imagine quite how serious this can be for them.

It would be so much easier for everyone if Clinical Depression was actually re-named to something else…?

To something that doesn’t include the word ‘depression’, and therefore won’t get confused with those who say that they are feeling ‘depressed’ when they are actually just having a bad day.

The confusion between ‘clinical depression’ and those who say that they feel ‘depressed’ while just feeling a bit down makes it so easy for people to forget that:

Depression is an illness.

Not just an illness, but one that can be horrific and crippling and life-threatening.

So let's petition to have the illness depression re-named. To one that doesn't include the word 'depression' and therefore will end this confusion.

To a a name that is more accurate and less mis-leading and will allow people to realise that depression is an illness, and not just someone experiencing a low mood.

Similar to how 'manic depression' is now known as 'bipolar disorder'.

Please sign if you agree, and whether or not you agree, please consider spreading the word and sharing with others!

Thank you.

There already is an alternative name for depression - Unipolar Disorder, which I think would be a much more suitable term to be in general use.

There is a few different names out there. Personally I would rather see more effort put into educating the meaning of depression. People have and probably always will misuse terms, calling people crazy, psychotic, nuts, without understanding the real meanings. And it is very common for people to say they are feeling manic when actually its nothing if the sort. However. I do appreciate how insulting it must be for some.

There already is an alternative name for depression - Unipolar Disorder, which I think would be a much more suitable term to be in general use.

Brilliant point. I think that would be the ideal term. People generally recognise 'bipolar disorder' as an illness so there is no reason why they would not recognise 'unipolar disorder' as an illness too. I would like to see people getting this diagnosis and using it rather than depression.

There is a few different names out there. Personally I would rather see more effort put into educating the meaning of depression. People have and probably always will misuse terms, calling people crazy, psychotic, nuts, without understanding the real meanings. And it is very common for people to say they are feeling manic when actually its nothing if the sort. However. I do appreciate how insulting it must be for some.

I think that education has to always be the number one priority, as that is the ulimate way to allevaiting the stigma. that's what I was saying in these blog posts:

Mainly Educataing others about mental health but also possibly a little in Many thoughts from me - mainly related to stigma.

People will always mis-use the terms unfortunately, yes, so that's why I think that it makes sense to change the name of the illness 'depression' rather than stop trying to get people to mis-use the term 'depressing' because that's never going to happen.

People misuse the term 'manic', but generally people do realise that 'bipolar disorder' is a serious illness.

The site I was using was very poor, so I've had to change it unfortunately.

Sorry for confusion, but it's too late to edit my original post.

Link is http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/depression/

In the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) that the professionals use, it isn't simply called depression. Their names are

• Bipolar Disorder
  • Cyclothymic Disorder
  • Dysthymic Disorder
  • Major Depressive Disorder

reference: http://allpsych.com/disorders/mood/index.html

Therefore, I know you mean well manja but I will not be signing your petition.

In the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) that the professionals use, it isn't simply called depression. Their names are

• Bipolar Disorder
  • Cyclothymic Disorder
  • Dysthymic Disorder
  • Major Depressive Disorder

reference: http://allpsych.com/...mood/index.html

Therefore, I know you mean well manja but I will not be signing your petition.

I am aware that there are several types of depression.

However when GPs give the diagnosis of 'clinical depression' which are they referring to so?

Clinical depression = major depressive disorder... as opposed to the other types^

That's exactly what I thought, thank you.

Therefore, to clarify, the petition is to change the illness 'major depressive disorder' to one that:

doesn't contain the word 'depression' to stop it being mis-used with the mis-used word 'depressed'

but can still be used commonly both in the medical field and by individuals, in the exact same way as bipolar is.

Bipolar is part of the list but I doubt anyone currently associates it with the word 'depressed'.

People say they have 'bipolar' but I doubt anyone says they have 'major depressive disorder', and even if they did I bet others might they this means they are feeling extremely down as opposed to a little down (as opposed to living with a serious mental illness).

This makes interesting reading.

Why did 'manic depression' become 'bipolar disorder'?

http://bipolar.about.com/od/definingbipolardisorder/a/manic_depression_changes_names.htm

This makes interesting reading.

Why did 'manic depression' become 'bipolar disorder'?

http://bipolar.about...anges_names.htm

Because it doesn't just contain mania! It spans the spectrum (polar).

I'm not sure about this as I think most people who care do know the difference between being depressed because their life is not how they want it, and suffering with a diagnosed mental condition.

I'm not sure about this as I think most people who care do know the difference between being depressed because their life is not how they want it, and suffering with a diagnosed mental condition.

In that case, what about those who don't care?

And also, what about the effect that those who 'don't care' have on those who live with the illness?

Personally, I think everything should be renamed and humanised.

In the meantime, I'm quite 'happy' [ha!] with the diagnostic label of Depression.

And the thing is, what about Anxiety? Acute Stress Disorder? And so it goes on..

The people that don't care in a sense don't need to care because I am guessing it isn't a part of their lives. I knew nothing about cancer, MS, glaucoma, diverticulitis etc until me or people I cared about had these illnesses. I think we can become too entrenched in "our" world, it isn't realistic to expect the wider world to understand everything or in some cases anything about mental illness.

And the thing is, what about Anxiety? Acute Stress Disorder? And so it goes on..

what are the issues with those exactly? not sure what you mean there, sorry....

The people that don't care in a sense don't need to care because I am guessing it isn't a part of their lives. I knew nothing about cancer, MS, glaucoma, diverticulitis etc until me or people I cared about had these illnesses. I think we can become too entrenched in "our" world, it isn't realistic to expect the wider world to understand everything or in some cases anything about mental illness.

Those people that you say don't care have a huge impact on those living with the illness.

But I don't think it is even about those who 'care' and 'don't care' so I'm not really sure how that came into the equation.

If you're going to relate it to those who 'care' and 'don't care' then I'm sorry you don't see just how relevant those who apparently don't care are, but that's absolutely fine.

Basically, to give one of millions of examples, a staff member says they have depression, they are out of work for weeks. Everyone in the office wonders why they could possibly need to be off work. After all everyone feels 'depressed' sometimes. Hey, at least one colleague every day says the feel 'depressed' or refers to something that they say is 'depressing'. Everyone in the office talks about how this team member who is out of work for several weeks is being lazy and should get their act together and how they are sick of having to make up for their colleague's absence. Everyone gets 'depressed' so its' about time he snapped out of it. The person who has this illness is horrificly ill and can't just 'snap out of it', but his team members don't care so it's fine that the confusion with the word 'depressed' has made them feel this way about their colleague cos after all they don't care.

Manja I am sorry. I can see you are trying to do something positive and I admire you for that. My opinion is partly troubled by me having a tough day! Ironic really.

Manja I am sorry. I can see you are trying to do something positive and I admire you for that. My opinion is partly troubled by me having a tough day! Ironic really.

You have nothing to be sorry for.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

There is no right or wrong answer.

No one's opinion is right and no one's opinion is right.

We are just discussing each of our opinions, so what is there to be sorry for hun?

Well, so many people say "I'm feeling anxious" and it's a regular human emotion, yet it's also a diagnosis. People who've not lived all their lives with severe anxiety have no idea when they say they get anxious before a test, for example...

It will never be changed to another name, It will always stick being " depression " , Many people these days, Do use the word too often, To say how they day at work has made them feel, Or watching a film ect like you have said already... They're many people going around saying they have " depression " When in fact they don't... No one will ever be able to change these people who have small minds and don't truly know what it does feel like to have it, But still say it to " Show " How they " Feel " or how something " made " them " feel " , At the end of the day it is called " depression " And will always will be and we have to " accept " that... Not really sure I make any sense with what I have said...

But I guess I am just trying to say that we have NO power to get them to change the name of it, To something else, Who will listen to us??? I just think it is a worse of time " trying " to fight for a change and talking about it... Plus what if people don't want it to change to another name??? At the end of the day, They're TOO many lables out there, So why add a new/changed one to us, Because it still means the same...

But I guess I am just trying to say that we have NO power to get them to change the name of it, To something else, Who will listen to us??? I just think it is a worse of time " trying " to fight for a change and talking about it...

I disagree. I think everyone single one of us has a huge power. We just have to choose to use it.

And if people don't want to change the name? Then that's fine, no one else will sign and nothing else will ever come of it.

At least people will have thought and discussed, that's one good thing at least.

It will still 'mean' the same.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we change the 'meaning', that would be senseless.

It's the affect of the name that is being discussed. It would the confusion with the mis-used word 'depressing' and help people realise that it is an illness, and lots of other related benefits etc.

It wouldn't solve all of the problems involved but it would certainly be a step in the right direction

We are just discussing each of our opinions, so what is there to be sorry for hun?

I feel like I am being negative because I am tired and although I don't agree entirely with your proposal I think I could have been more tactful.

I feel like I am being negative because I am tired and although I don't agree entirely with your proposal I think I could have been more tactful.

Don't worry about it. I honestly don't think you did anything wrong. We're just having a discussion, and problem is that when we feel quite passionate about something it can come across a certain way, or we can think it can. But although I am grateful for your apology, I honestly don't think it is warranted :)

Archived