Mental Health Forums

Primary Mental Health Worker/assessment

AppleCrumble

I have an appointment on Wed pm with a primary mental health worker, for an assessment to see what if anything they would think might be useful...not sure what I should say, or what problems I should focus on... or what I should ask for... any thoughts? Anyone seen one of these before?

(((AppleCrumble))) Im not sure I have seen one of these people before, but maybe I have spoken with one on the phone. Sometimes all these different titles they are given are so confusing.

It all sounds very positive though. Were you referred by your GP? Will anyone be with you or will it be a one to one?

I suppose the best thing is to be honest with them about everything, with where you are at, what has worked for you re intervention in the past, what is working for you now, and are there any things on offer that you could benefit from which you would like to try that you haven't tried, if they be on offer. I suppose also, there is no shame in asking them how the assesment works before you do it?

Just a few ideas. I hope they help a little bit.xx

Pickle.x

Hi there,

I saw a gateway worker once - I think that may've been the same sort of thing. Her job was to see me on the short term with a view to assessing needs and making recomendations on what next. She helped a lot with what to say and where to start as therer were some fairly standard questions to go through at the begining. Hope it goes ok for you.

x

Hi there,

I saw a gateway worker once - I think that may've been the same sort of thing. Her job was to see me on the short term with a view to assessing needs and making recomendations on what next. She helped a lot with what to say and where to start as therer were some fairly standard questions to go through at the begining. Hope it goes ok for you.

x

When I was refered to the cmht i had a 1 off assesment by a cpn.

she was actually very good but my social worker didnt listen to her/didnt read her report.

She asked me a lot of questions about different things. i just had to put things into words as best i could, she understood that i might not always know the answer or how to put it into words.

I was also encoraged to say what i wanted to say, if i thought if something i should have said earlier, if i thought of something that hadnt been asked

But the person who asseses you should explain from the start how they are going to do it

Hi Apple,

try not to judge based on job title. In my team the first CPN I was put with was a complete *******!!!!!!. She was useless. However, the occupational therapy support worker I have since got to know is fantastic. How helpful they are I think has more to do with how you relate to one another than the qualification or job title. Try not to worry and give them a chance.

Hugs. xxx

Archived