Mental Health Forums

Dbt - Next Onslaught

Shadow girl

The group today was so hard, (not coz of anyone there but because of the topic). We were looking at distress tolerance and pros and cons of self harming. I feel so mashed now.

I just made a cup of tea. First I made two even though my hubby is away. Then I put the kettle back in the cupboard and the tea bags where the kettle should be. I've been aimlessly wandering round the house trying to remember what I'm supposed to do - and I've got to go back tomorrow for the one to one. Heaven knows what state I'll be in after that.

Thanks for reading - writing it down has grounded me a little. Hope you're all ok today. xx

Hi Applec.

I can't even remember why. It's just a blur. I think I disassociated a lot and missed loads. I'll probably get nagged abut it tomorrow. I want to do it but I never imagined how hard it would be.

shadow girl sounds like a rough day but you are doing so well x.

the other day I put coffee in a mug but poured the water into the half full coffee jar, so sounds like both our brains are scrambled lol. Distress tolerance sounds very hard especially for regular self harmers so don't be too tough on yourself x

((Shadow Girl)) Brilliant that you are sticking with it, sounds like you have had a very tough day.x I hope tomorrow won't be as daunting as it may feel right now.x Try and get a good nights sleep.x

Thanks for being so supportive. I am really uptight about todays appt. I'm sort of winding myself up for a fight if she goes on about me dissassociating or questions my committment to DBT. That'll go down well! (I don't think so).

good luck today. i hope it turns out to be really positive and useful.

they won't give me dbt worst luck - i'm not 'ill' enough - ha!

Hi Greenthing. Thanks.

That's not fair on you is it?. What do they expect you do do? Go ballistic, and get worse so you can access treatment? Can you appeal to your NHS trust to get the treatment. Having the dx should be enough. I expect if I lived where you do I wouldn't be lucky enough to have the opportunity either. It's crap that you can't get the same treatment options wherever you live. I know if I still lived in greater manchester I would get nothing bcause I'm not extreme enough.

xx

yes, i think that's exactly it... i'm not in crisis therefore... no chance of successful referral, just a 'crisis' number and a lifeskills group i might be eligible for...

hope yours goes well

That's what I was offered. I didn't get offered DBT till after that, some psychodynamic counselling and ongoing support from a CPN. It was when I was saying to him, "I've tried everything - therre's no point etc etc that he finally came back suggesting I'm referred for DBT. Then I had to wait nearly 2 years to start. Hence me pushing on even though its very hard and makes me deal with some distressing stuff.

Todays appt was ok. I didn't rant though I did mention feeling like I was being told off evry week. She said I'm not being told off and explained things again. I suppose I might've been a little oversensitive. Talked about what happened yesterday and that was ok. There was no pressure not to do it again, even though that would be a future goal. Overall it was ok.

Hope yyou get some useful support.

Archived