Mental Health Forums

Meds Or No Meds ?

pepsimeg

I havent been on antids for 6yrs or anxiety meds for nearly 2yrs.

I really am anti against any psych drugs.... I dont think they are the answer

But i feel a bit in a dilema

i havent slept well for a month which is causing my fibromyalgia to flare causing pain. Im exhausted so much just food shopping or walking the dog takes it out of me.

My anxiety is high....hypervigilance is high....

Do i give in and go drs to go on pills that numb u. Make u worse for a.while ir do i stick this out and hope tgingss get easier ? I dunno...im torn....torn beetween my hate of drugs and torn between needing sleep for my body to ease the pain and sleep....just cant stand the thought of becoming reliant on thses drugs again.

Others opinions appreciated thanku

emo xx

My whole body hurts like someones kicked me all over.

But my fear of meds and how i used to b addicted to them is putting me off going back on them.

Hunni this how I see it. If you only get one life why be in pain emotionally or physically? I used to be against all drugs wouldn't take paracetamol for a headache then I thought why should I do this it is bad enough any thing that helps give it me. If you get addicted to something you need to take so what? Got to be better than how things are now?

Hi Emogirl

I take 5 htp to help me sleep. It can also help with depression

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_htp

It's not gone through all the tests but it is generally cosidered safe with no side effects. I'm always feel dodgy promoting health food shops but this works for me.

You could also try valeriane capsules although these I find take longer to work.

I'm sorry that you're suffering

If you do try these be sure to let your gp know

much love

xxx

hi emo, apparently magnesium supplements can be helpful for fibromyalgia too, but like starry says it may be best to ask your dr first.

as for conventional meds i can understand your reluctance its a hard decision to make xxx

Hi Emo.

I'm not taking anything right now. I was on Sertraline but they didn't work. My doctor won't give me anything for my racing thoughts until I have started therapy. I want to take them, but head is so crazy, I just can't stand it. But at the same time, I am scared that they might work, I know that is the whole point, but that scares me. xx

Thanks for replies everyone

yes i do take asthma meds and i do take paracetamol wen i need it.

Its not that i dont want help memtally

its the fact i dont.want to become reliant addicted again

ivwant to get better other ways via natural remedies etc.

Starry i will have a look at the 5htp and thanku vivien i have heard magnesium is good for pain.

Emo

Life is short and ideally everything would be natural but if you can't get an ideal just grab what you can with both hands. Good luck!

I do understand where your coming from...I hate the thought of taking medication to make me "somwhat more normal" I always say..why can some people just be fine and I need medication so I don't become depressed or psychotic etc..but even 5 yrs after my diagnosis I don't see myself as unwell because the way I deal with stuff seems completely normal to me..ha :/ as if eh?! Anyway bk on track..well I've been told by cmht if I don't take them I will be back in hospital and that's a bad enough threat for me to take them..hope you make the right choice for you! We can only tell you our experiences and hope you make the right choice to help getting to better! X

Archived