Mental Health Forums

My T Wants Me To See The Pys. Tomorrow

Jewel

Hi everyone, I think I might have made a mistake in tellking my t about the suicide thoughts today, and some other stuff. She didnt do anything while I was there and didnt even say anything about a promise just that shed see me next time. Than she called me and left a messege and when I called her back she was like I want you to come in and see our psy. tomorrow and I called your dr. who said that seeing the pys. was a good idea and she needed to tell one of my parents. Im so not wanting to go tomorrow. I tried to talk with my t in the past and this was one area she wasnt to open to talk about. I told her I was trying to figuer out what the heck I feel regards wioth suicide but Im an adult and didnt want her to call my parents. She said the doctor may need to change my meds or hospital, I doubt the hospital thing. I just feel likw when I tried talking they didnt really listen before, now because I mentioned this today my t is "worried". :blink:

Jewel:

I don't think it wa a mistake at all to bring up suicidal thoughts. Apparently your T thought that your thoughts might go far beyond fantisization and might materialize into an actual attempt. I think she did the right thing in referring you to a psych, although I can't speak for notifying your parents. They usually have to have a consent form to do that.

Please take care of yourself and go to your appt. tomorrow.

bryan

I agree completely with Bryan. If you are thinking these things, your T needs to know so she can help you better. Good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you'll be fine,

Victoria xoxox

Thank you for your replies. I just dont get why they waited till I got to this point to "care". My t called again so I have to leave a messege about if she will pick me up tomoorow for this appoin. Dont know how to be or what to say at the appoin.

You must have said something that triggered it. Something that made it sound more serious than before. There is a difference between fantasizing about suicide and actually having a plan. My T never reported my talk about suicide until I told her that I had a definate plan to carry it out. Then she got right on the phone with a psych.

sry for butting in.. thats what i dont get, they wait for you to have a plan.. been wondering why it was so important for my psy and therapist when they kept asking if i knew what i was going to do.. my answer to them was, do you think im stupid? do you really think im going to tell you what im going to do. im totaly cynical when they ask stupid questions..

sry jewel for talking like that.. but bry and vicky is right though in what they said...

Hi and thank you. I think it was when I said theres no hope ect.... well maybe anyway. Barebones your not butting in. I was like that also. about like you think Im stupid and would tell you what I was going to do if I ever did anything. I barely slept last night. Was feeling sick with a headache and stomach since I got back from seeing my t yesturday. Not sure why its affecting me in that way. :(

This might onlt be a pedantic point but aren't T mean'y to discuss breaking confidentitallity BEFORE they do it and not afterwards ?

I agree with everyone else, if the thoughts have moved from just thinking about suicide to realistically deciding to do it you should see someone qualified which has to be a psychiatrist. I wouldn't though be pushed into anything you don't want to do such as telling your parents. Don't let them start treating you like a child, you are still entitled to medical confidentiallity.

Best of luck

Denise

Hi, the appoin. Didn’t happen. The phys. had an emergency today and I wasn’t able to see her because of that. My t said she would speak with her and call me back but she didn’t. So I have no clue. Sorry. After I let her office my t called my doctor and told him that I was actively suicidal and I would be seeing the pyhs. She also called my mom and told her. This angers me because when she called me after an hour of seeing her on Monday she called me and said about the doctor, I was pissed but understood. She asked about which parent I wanted her to tell and I said neither because I'm an adult and my dad sort of knows and if she tells my mom it would things very hard. I even said don't because of that. Well I found out last night she did it anyway. GRRRRRRRRR I don't get how or why she expects me to trust her when she doesn't listen. I called the hospital and spoke with someone there last night who said I wasn't actively suicidal to her and my t had every legal right to call my parent even though I'm an adult. Seven months Ive been trying to talk with my t, and just go angry than last week she starts to care and now all this shit. I so badly want to tell her off but am holding it in. I'm so fed up with her. I’m not sure if I should wait until she calls or me calling her. But, I do know if I would need to calm down if I call because im so angry with her. Feeling like trust has been violated and also confidentiality.

Hi Jewel

I think youre right. What legal right does she have to tell your parents, I take it you are over 18 although even nowadays teenagers have rights. I don't personally think you can trust her anymore. I think they are allowed to inform your GP, possibly the hospital because that would involve your care. She may have just landed you in deeper sh*t.

I think you should get some proper advice on this one from someone independent. Medical confidentiallity is supposed to be taken seriously. Are you in the UK ? With whom is your T accredited/registered ?

Denise

Hi Denise, Im almost 31. My t is a registered social worker here in Canada. My t has caused me more trouble with me and my mother- my mom is a part of the reason I had thoughts and my mom dosent care or she would have made changes. My t still hasnt called me from monday- and I really dont care f she dose. Trust has been been broken a lot. :wacko:

I'm sorry but at 30 years old she has absolutley no right to involve your parents, for pities sake how old does she think you are, 8?

I would put a stop to this. I don't think breaking contact with this T can make you feel worse, it may even make you feel better, to take control of your life back. I know a lot of people on this site feel they can't break wind without discussing it with their T first (no offence intended) but I think you have to take control back. I would look more carefully into whether she has broken any professional guidelines, I think if she was from the UK she would have.

I had my medical confidentiallity broken when I was 18. At the time I was too vulnerable/shocked/upset but now it makes me angry, I'm angry on your behalf. I did nothing at the time but I wish I had made a complaint.

Denise

I think you need to expressly tell her that she IS NOT to disclose any information to anyone(with exception of the authorities in case of an emergency0 without your written consent. If she doesn't agree with tha, get yourself a new T. She has violated your t/client confidentiality rights.

Bryan

Hi, thank you for your replies..... I hope I can talk with her tomorrow because I know your right and Im not sure about her anymore.... <_< Not sure what to feel right now. :(

Hi Jewel

You really do need to do this but remember that you need to be respected in this relationship, your opinions and views are importnat. It doesn't sound like that is happening. There are plenty of other sources of help, you don't have to put up with this ??

Best of luck, I know its not easy to stand up for yourself when you are at a low ebb.

Denise

Hi Denise, I guess we worked/ working things out. Im still working on trust issues with her. She "seems" to be really really nice now.

Hope that you can get things sorted out about her telling you parents such that you feel that you can start to build a good relationship with her.

Good luck

CJ -_-

I can't believe she told your mum!!!

I hope you can work it out with her though. It sucks when they go and mess it all up.

Have you got another appointment with the pschy yet?

Archived