Mental Health Forums

They Are Messing Me About

Dibley

I got a letter today confirming my appointment on Wednesday for my first, yet again, therapy session. I was pissed off to see my appointment was with a man, and a frigging trainee as well. I do not want to see a trainee, especially a male who will just think I'm crazy.

Then my phone rings, I didn't answer it because the number was witheld. They left a voicemail. It was the receptionist from the therapy place, they want to change my appointment because the therapist is going to be at a meeting, she wants me to call back. I still haven't phoned. I don't think they want to see me, I think they are messing me about because I changed the first appointment. I was so sad, even though I was so anxious about going, I was going to go, and I felt kind of positive about it, now I'm thinking fuck em.

They never called me again, I guess I'll call back Monday, can't do it today, so angry and so let down.

((((Diamond)))))

You can ask to see a female it is what I have done, Call them and tell them this ok you might have to wait longer but if you want a female it will be worth waiting, I have been waiting since March and I am now top of the list, Please call them back and tell them that you're annoyed especially that your therapist will be a trainee.xx

Hi

It's ok to be angry with them and feel let down and rejected. I guess there are logical reasons why the appointment was cancelled which you can try to believe.. but I've often found that logical and emotional sides of me take a little longer to come together. So yes it's perfectly ok to feel however you feel.. and i think it's good that you're giving yourself until Monday to get back to them as you may feel differently about things then or may have calmed down. However I do think it's important to tell them how this has made you feel in your first appointment (or whenever you feel able to) as it is important to you. You are important.

As an aside I just wanted to say that you are entitled to ask for a female therapist if you'd prefer. It may mean a longer wait, I don't know but if you'd feel safer that way then it's ok. Also, a trainee, in my opinion isn't a bad thing. I've always thought that trainees can be more.. what's the word.. they are more keen and eager to do a good job. I don't mean that people who have been counselling for years aren't.. but when someone is in training they often have a lot of supervision and they tend to go over things again and again to make sure they've done their best. For example there's a college near me that offers free haircuts with their student hairdressers. I was really worried when I first went and yes they took twice as long as a hairdresser but what I did notice was that they took so much care of every single cut they made. They were closely supervised and by the end had done just as much of a good job as any other. I fully realise hairdressing isn't the same as therapy.. i guess hair can grow back whereas therapy can be quite damaging if done badly.. but i just wanted to throw out there a thought that trainees may not be the worse thing. You may or may not get on with any therapist you get to see and in any case you are within your right to as for a different one.

Sorry for the long waffle.. I'm sorry that you're feeling messed about. It's horrible to feel unimportant.. i really hope you're able to express these feelings to them next week

Jenny x

Thank you Jenny, I never thought of it like that before, I just imagine him being really young and thinking I'm a freak. I don't really want a male. The first appointment I had was with a female. I feel they aren't taking me seriously, and that I don't matter. It really has taken me a long time to get my head round accepting therapy. I've my first assessment a few times now, and I never keep it up, and just when I tell myself I am ready, it goes like this and my confidence and wanting to go and has just dropped so much. xx

I think the closer it comes the more frightening it feels and then it seems safer to back out. Yes, do ask for a female T. I am routing for you in this little corner of the world. XOXO.

(((DiamondHeart))) I started therapy a few weeks ago with a trainee, male. I was very anxious about it, very, but as (((Jenny1471))) has expressed so beautifully in her reply, a trainee does have a lot going in their favour, and they are always answerable to someone else. I know in my case, my trainee is answerable to the lady who will take over from him, with me to do DTTherapy.

He has been brilliant so far, but one of the things I think has also been mentioned here, which is very important is to talk about all your feelings that you have expressed here for starters, and your anxieties re therapy and it being a male.

If I were you, I would go along with seeing the male trainee, cos if you think about it, this in itself has pressed a lot of buttons, and when buttons are pressed, if the therapist is good, a lot more can be worked on than when it is just too damn comfortable.

Just my thoughts, and I hope it will all get sorted and on its way tomorrow when you call them back.xx

Thank you. I haven't backed out, they have cancelled it, and it's made me so paranoid, like what has the doctor wrote in my notes to them that have made them not want to see me? Anyway, I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say for themselves. There just seems to be too many negatives right now. x x

Hi Diamond Heart

I'm really glad you're going to phone them back :)

I really hope you can get to see someone soon, therapy would help you so much.

Thinking of you

xxx

Called them back today. I now have an appointment for the 14th September. Ages away, still feel like they don't care and I'm just somebody they can mess about. Don't feel great about it, but at least I phoned them back, I didn't think I would.

((((DiamondHeart)))) I know how difficult it was for you to do this in the first place - I hope you got something sorted out today xx

(((DiamondHeart))) Brilliant you called them. Sounds a long way away now, but September 14th will come around before you know it.xx So glad you called them.xx

Hey DH,

Think it's great that you got in touch with them today. I'd be put out over the long wait for the new appt too, completely understand you feeling that way.

You DO matter, you matter a great deal hun, and therapy, i really feel will help you, and so it is so worth fighting for. I know you could so do without the anx, stress and hassle, though. thinking of you hun xxx

Archived