Mental Health Forums

Medication Affecting Speech

toaster

Am just wondering if anyone has trouble with getting their words mixed up i.e. 'my name is Toaster' becoming 'my Toaster is name'? This has become more pronounced with me recently and I am wondering if it is to do with my mood stabiliser?

Am worried have fucked my mind with all the drugs, drink, spray and overdoses I have taken tbh :/

Over 10 years I've noticed some days I have problems getting the right words. I some times feel it is like a stroke victim I know what I mean but something else comes out. I don't know if its scripted drugs, age, past substance abuse Doctor that I've mentioned it to says it is anxiety, although it happens at home and in the evenings when I can be comfortable.

My gut feeling is it is the scripted meds and age.

I've thought maybe it is age as well :/ don't know what's worse lol. I am nearly 30, can I ask how old you are (you don't have to say, obv) please?

i have this. people look at me like i dont make sense a lot and bf has pointed it out lots of times. think might just be me tho i tend to blabble a lot maybe im just strange

Yes toastie - OMG i thought it was just me - a lot of the time I can't get my words out and it is down to memory too - I think it is our medication and what we have done to our bodies and brains in the past x

I don't tend to get words in the wrong order,

just can't remember the bleedin word! :rolleyes:

This doesn't tend to happen if I'm writing summat though (eg with pencil)

only verbal speech. (Maybe uses different part of the brain)

I am 31 but I wouldn't have thought 30's would be a prob age wise for memory.

x

Hi Toaster,

A few meds have caused this to happen to me, tegretol being the main one. Have you switched onto it, i think i read that in one of your posts? Sorry if wrong.

And generally I tend now not to launch off into sentences without structuring/thinking what i am going to say- otherwise i find i forget/ jumble words , especially if with ppl i don't know. Take care xx

Archived