Mental Health Forums

Telephone Assessment

starryeyesee

I got a letter today saying that someone is going to phone me about my mental health. Has anyone got expeience of this? What do they ask and what should I say?

thanks in advance

starry xxx

Which service is it? For primary mental health? or community mental health team? or don't you know?

I had a phone interview for primary mental health - to see if I could get CBT, and what the main issues were.

xxx

Ah okay. Maybe they are putting you through the usual CBT (who then may say you are too worse) which could forward you onto CMHT. Unless it's the CMHT straight away? Or it could be a crisis people?

Is it due to suicidal stuff? Or seeing/hearing things? xxxx

I have been really down and having sui thoughts which I told my gp when she asked so it's maybe because of that

thanks for your help (((Apple)))

xxx

Ah okay. Yeah it's maybe a crisis team thing, or like quick referral to CBT or CMHT lol. Not sure. Have you seen anyone before now to do with MH? *hugs* I doubt they'd do anything with you (inpatient wise) It'd probably be either an assessment to see if it's more than depression, or if it's personality? Have you thought about how you would sui? Hope you'll talk to us first. Would miss you tons :-( xxx

yeah I have a plan

I was sectiond in france for 2 months in 2008 and had weekly therapy from then until end of may. DX of BPD and major depression. I thought I was doing ok until my best friend left after moving me here then I just fell apart. I'm on JSA and under intense pessure to find a job which I don't think I can handle. Others on here have mentioned getting a sick note from the doctor but I don't want to appear as scrounging or getting out of working. I'm seeing my gp on thurday and I have to try and explain this to her and I don't know how.

I just want to be sure I can get my meds which I think would ultimatly be prescribed by a pdoc.

thanks for your help apple, really appreciate it

xxx

Hi starry,

I think some cmhts do phone assessments these days as a starting point. I would have thought that your gp would like you to see a cmht to have a fuller assessment as you have no recent history in england and have gone through a lot of changes recently and have expresses distressing feelings,

I think its good they have responded so quickly and hope you can express yourself ok, though if you cant because of your dxs I would tell them that, eg trusting and talking over the phone to someone would be a nightmare for me.

take care xxx

I had a phone assessment a year ago in UK when I was told I have depression and they were deciding if I should go for a low intensity well-being therapist. As far as I remember it is the same depression tool the GP uses and some other questions like - do you have sleep problems. I guess they just want to make sure you mental health has not restored by itself. From an hour of an interview it lasted I think around 15 minutes, all else was just administrative bs. So yeah, they decide if you are suited for what the gp has referred you to. Its a slow process. Good luck with it.

This is what I had. I hated it. It feels like they are asking you questions from a sheet, and they don't care what they are asking. They ask if you feel suicidal, if you self harm, if you want to die, stuff like that. If you say yes, they just move on to the next question, just like that. It's quite bad. But the next step is seeing someone in real life.

Archived