Mental Health Forums

Any Experiences Of Propanalol?

Jinxsta

Stopped taking sertraline a few months ago, and olanzapine bout 6months ago.. of my own accord, straight off BAM, bad I know... told the shrink last week and told him reasons why 1 I wanted my OCD back and sertraline was blocking it 2 it would take me about 3hours to cum and with the olanzapine drastic weight gain.... he said that any decent anti-d's and anti-p's will have these side-affects and asked what my main problem was ATM, i said it was crippling anxiety and dissociation... so, he has prescribed propanalol, i've heard some horror stories about it and am a little reluctant to take it, i know everyone is different, but any experiences of this drug would be appreciated... what did it do? did it help? any side affects etc.

Thanks

xx

What kind of anxiety is it that you suffer? I had my thoughts spinning type/paranoidy ish - and so the propanolol didn't help, as it seems to just reduce heart rate... and so doesn't really affect the thoughts, unless you go worrying that you are dying from breathing/heart-rate changes etc. My panics seemed to be more, "situation situation must do something about it, die now, die now" thoughts going around in my head - so slowing my heart rate would do nothing....

xxx

urmmmm I get the panic that u describe, but that I can kind of handle i've had it for as long as i remember, and usually knock myself out with something on that. The type of panic i'm most wanting it to help for is the "everything looks strange, everyones staring at me, im gonna have a heart attack, im gonna piss myself, im gonna passout, i need to get out/in/off/on, I cant breathe, i need an ambulance"

Does it work like diazepam? (i know they are completely different drugs) in the way of, well, if i have panic thoughts and then have some diazepam, I still get the thoughts but its almost like i suddenly dont care about them, im like "Ahhh were being bombed by terrorists..... oh welll doesnt matter".

xx

I've found propanalol to be very helpful at times. It works best if I only used it when I know I'll need it and take it befroe the anxiety kicks in really badly. It doesn't bring me back if I've gone over the edge into a panic but does help me not get into that state as quickly or easily. It's especially good if you use it as a headstart for trying relaxation techniques etc. The slower heart makes that discipline a teensy bit easier. I was prescribed them to take on a regular basis but that didn't help s much as taking none most of the time and then some when I knew I needed them (eg, a long train journey or a confrontational work meeting).

I know some people say they are useless, but everyone s different so you may as well give them a shot. I've never had any sort of ill effects or trouble with them.

I had anxiety, propranalol worked like a charm. It helped in a really subtle way, and I noticed when I wasn't on it! I combined it with diaz if I couldn't sleep because off the fight or flight.

I got prescribed propanolol but i didn't find it useful. I had no side effects with it but it didn't work with my anxiety. I find lorazepam works better.

I have a friend who takes propranolol though and she says it works for her and she doesn't have side effects

Archived